Good, cheap Slot 1 motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good, cheap Slot 1 motherboard?

I had a lot of trouble with my old Slot 1 Via-based motherboard. I since built a new system, Via-free and the troubles are gone. I recently rebuilt the old system to use for audio transfers/editing only, but I am again running into some problems with the board.

Can someone recommend a good, cheap, non-Via Slot 1 motherboard? Nothing fancy, just a decent board. It'll be used with a p3 500, 256mb sdram, radeon 7200, HD's on a Promise ATA100 PCI card, c-media based sound card, and a network card.

thanks.
    WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
    Pentium 4 1.7 Abit TH7II-RAID
    HD (boot): Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 60GB
    HD (RAID-0): WD WD400BB 80GB (2x40GB)
    Kingston 256MB 800MHZ RDRAM
    ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
    Hauppauge Wintv #401
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Asus P3B-f

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks. I would've searched these boards, but searching on "slot 1" on this board doesn't fit the minimum word length. (that, and i was being lazy about searching!)
      Last edited by AmSci; 3 February 2002, 02:33.
      WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
      ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
      Hauppauge Wintv #401
      Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

the asus p2b board is also a top performer for an old board!

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
          Asus P3B-f
          Hmm, this board seems to be pretty rare now. I have only seen it on ebay so far.
          WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
          ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
          Hauppauge Wintv #401
          Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

That's because those of us with them (I have 6) don't give 'em up too easily. That darned thing is very handy when speed and stability are big issues (video editing, 3D etc.).

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

The P3B-F is an older board (naturally), but it seems to be the consensus pick around here for best all-around slot1 motherboard, for its stability and overclockability.

Other good slot1 boards are the AOpen A6B/A6BC series with the BX chipset. Also very stable and overclockable.

Or, (assuming you want quality, stability and not overclockability) the Supermicro P6SBA/SBS/SBU or other BX/GX boards listed there.

Also, (again assuming you want quality, stability and not overclockability) I have done systems with the Tyan TsunamiATX(S1846) full ATX and the Tyan Tigercub100(S1894) boards. These are very stable and well-made, and had a 3 year warranty which might still be in effect. The Tigercub is the best Micro ATX board ever made, IMHO.

Hope this helps widen the choices for you. If you can find any of these new, I'd pounce on them

Comment

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses! I was using the rebuilt pc (with a Via-based Asus P3V4X) to do some optical audio transfers. In both Windows XP and Windows 2000, "pops" would get introduced into the recordings, sounding like the recordings were from a record player. (Whether I was transferring from a USB/optical device or the optical input of my sound card).

I tracked down a P3B-F on ebay, and rebuilt the system today. Not only does it seem to be a bit faster, but the audio transfers have been clean. I think I'm going to stay away from VIA for awhile

thanks again for all the suggestions,
                  Terry
                  WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
                  ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
                  Hauppauge Wintv #401
                  Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

Your welcome
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I would say abit be6-2

Comment

Don't start me on ABIT's

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Abit all the way & never a single problem.
                          :P
                          chuck
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Intel 44BX rules the roost! And on a P3B-f it is at its best
                            AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Abit sux. There I said it. I resisted saying this for a while but too much shit works in my Biostar mobo at work (KM133A) that doesn't work in my KT7 at home. LiteON burner with any other device on its channel, Logitech QuickCam Express USB in WinXP (works in 98SE and Me) and other little bothersome things.
                              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                              X