VIA chipsets fixed (PCI issue)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA chipsets fixed (PCI issue)

Tecchannel reports the latest VIA patch fixes the PCI issues plagueing all VIA chipsets. They also host the patch. Tecchannel says VIA chipsets are now equal to Intel's

I beg to differ a bit The Inquirer reported a while back that Intel's latest chipsets (850-860 series - see http://www.theinquirer.net/17010203.htm) also suffers from poor PCI performance. VIA may well have overtaken Intel now, at least for recent chipsets.

See: http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/817/11.html

Neko
    Last edited by KuroNeko; 1 February 2002, 18:30.

It's true, Intel's recent chipsets also suffer from this PCI 'issue' but that fact hasn't received nearly as much press. You have to like Intel's sense of humor though. "We have no plans to release a fix for this issue."
    AMD Athlon-C 1200MHz
    512MB Crucial PC133 CAS2
    MSI K7T Turbo
    45GB IBM Deskstar 75GXP
    Plextor Ultraplex 40x
    Matrox G400 16MB Dualhead
    Matrox RRG add-on
    19" Samsung SyncMaster 955DF
    GNU/Linux (and Windows 2000 Professional)

Comment

A word of warning to all:

I just downloaded and installed the 4-in-1 driver 4.37a from www.viatech.com and installed it on one of my PC's (a gigabyte GA-6VA7+ board with a Celery 800 cpu and Nvidia vanta graphics card)

It completely broke my Windows 2000 setup! The PC reboots and reboots in an endless loop. It won't even start in safe mode anymore. I guess I'll have to completely re-install everything.

Thanks for making my life miserable, VIA!
      Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Sorry about that, I should have posted that I had the same problem with anything above 4.35 (I think). It completely botched my system. Of course I have since upgraded to Win98SE I am still not going to patch it with anything newer, although I did use the PCI bus patch from above. It did increase my HD throughput although very slightly.
        WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

I re-installed Windows 2000 from scratch today, then installed the VIA 4-in-1 version 4.37 plus the new PCI bandwidth patch. I had to remove a memory module or Windows 2000 wouldn't install, probably a bad DIMM ?

It does run more smoothly now than before - especially my Soundblaster PCI 64 audio quality has improved. No more clicks and dropouts when playing a VCD. But I have yet to install all my software on it to be certain...
          Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Working...
          X