Dual Monitors with G400 and Millennium II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Monitors with G400 and Millennium II

I currently run a g400 card but want to run two monitors (not a TV). Someone has given me Millenniium II card to run a second monitor, Is this possible?

I don't want to replace the G400 as I need for video capture.

I have installed the Millennium II but it is not recognised on set-up.

Any ideas?

Welcome aboard

What model G400 do you have?
    G400SH (Single Head)
    G400DH (Dual Head)
    G400MAX (Dual Head)
    G400Marvel (Dual Head,capture capabilities, but second head can only be a tv(Which I suspect you have))
    ?

What OS are you running?

What are your system specs (including IRQ assignments)?

In any case, a MillII should work fine as a secondary card.

Have you downloaded the latest MilII drivers from matrox?

You will need to set the card up manually, using just the .inf file (not the setup program), and not loading PowerDesk for the MillII. You cannot have 2 different versions of PD running at the same time).

Good luck, and again, welcome
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I can't find it, but I think some other people might have had problems with this situation. The Mil should be a fine secondary card, but I remember someone with different generations of Matrox cards in the same computer having a hard time.

I think this is really one for the techs over at the <A HREF="http://www.matrox.com">Matrox</A> tech support forums.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Details

Sorry for not including any details,

G400 marvel,
        WIN 98,
        Not sure on the IRQ?

So what do I need to do with the .inf file?

Thanks for your advice.

Comment

Don't try to run the setup program for the MillII drivers.

Put the card in, boot up, go to control panel, add new hardware. After it searches for new hardware, tell it you want to select the new hardware from a list. Select Diaplsy Adapters, click next, then click on "Have Disk". Direct it to the folder where the drivers are located, and select the .inf file in that folder.

This will let Windows install just the drivers without trying to detect the card, or installing a conflicting version of PowerDesk...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I had no problem running a G400, G200 and Millennium II together but that was under Windows 2000.

Comment

Next Step,

O.K. I've installed the drivers as outlined, whats the next step?

I've played with the power desk dual head settings but I still only see the G400 AGP adapter.

I'm still not sure if the MIL2 card is being recognised by the system.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

In the settings tab, you should be seeing 2 monitor icons. Highlight the 2nd one, right click on it and enable it. The dualhead tab is ONLY for the G400 card. 2x clicking on the 2nd monitor icon will get you to what items are featured with the Millenium only.

Haig

Comment

I have had no troubles running a Marvel g400TV with a Millenium II or a G200 pci in both Win98se and Win2k.

The trick is (as describe in an earlier post) do not use the matrox driver installer (setup.exe) when installing the secondary pci card.

Install the Agp card/drivers first as Matrox recommends.
                  Unzip secondary card drivers into a folder on harddrive.
                  Install secondary card, let windows detect it (or go to device manager), and direct windows to the dir where ypu unzipped the drivers.

Comment

Working...
                  X