I've given up, this is my new rig ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've given up, this is my new rig ...

as much as I like my G400-TV I couldn't wait around for ever, I have purchased for £150 an ATI Radeon 64 DDR VIVO.

So far I have been very impressed; video recording quality is excellent, loads recording/compression options in the the default capture util, although it does come with Video Studio 5 (full not SE), DVD player is perfectly fine and .. decent gaming performance and .. WinXP drivers !

I've got XP and need consumer level capture, and editing, nothing from Matrox, can't wait for ever

Athlon XP1800+
    512MB DDR RAM
    Epox 8KHA+

ATI RADEON 64DDR VIVO
    Creative SoundBlaster Live! Value
    3COM 905B TX NIC

30GB + 60GB HD
    12x CDRW
    6X DVD player

someone who gave up on Matrox cos of no XP support for G400-TV and no new cards

how many more like me as the times move on ... no point gazing in the crystal ball for ever, gotta actually do something sometime huh !?

laters, Ammo.

Hi Ammo,

Good to hear that you're satisfied with your new purchase. Matrox announced some time ago that they weren't planning on releasing any more consumer video editing cards, so going with another manufacturer was actually your only option.

I've just bought a Club3D Radeon 7500 to replace my G400 DH. I wasn't able to play Max Payne at decent framerates on my Athlon XP 1500+ system with 512MB DDR RAM. The bottleneck was very obviously the graphics card ;-)

Although the new card is very fulfilling when it comes to 3D speed, I do have to make some concessions in the home theater area. For instance: DVDMax allowed me to view fullscreen video on the second video output while continuing to work on the other screen (and not having to meddle with display properties and being able to use different refreshrates for the separate outputs was also very good).

I knew I was going to have to forego some features when I bought the new card. What I really wanted was a Matrox card that delivers speedy 3D along with the other features my G400 was already delivering. That's why I didn't buy a Radeon 8500: I figured I'd better buy an affordable yet still fullfilling product so I'd have some money left to go out and buy the new Matrox product when it finally arrives ;-)

So this is just to allow me to keep enjoying games while I wait for Matrox' next gen product.

Greets,
    Jorg
    _ _ ______________ _ _
    I am the Jorg, resistance is futile.
    © StarTrek: First Contact

Comment

Originally posted by Flip-Oh
      I do have to make some concessions in the home theater area. For instance: DVDMax allowed me to view fullscreen video on the second video output while continuing to work on the other screen

The Radeon 6018 drivers add a new button called "Theater mode" to the overlay-tab, which does exactly this (stretching any overlay from the primary display to fullscreen on the second/TVOut. Quite a nice new feature...
      Last edited by Indiana; 1 February 2002, 14:59.
      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
      My System
      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
      German ATI-forum

Comment

I wasn't able to play Max Payne at decent framerates on my Athlon XP 1500+ system with 512MB DDR RAM. The bottleneck was very obviously the graphics card ;-)
        I have finished the whole game at 1024x768x32 and everything at MAX and thats with my Vanila Ice Ice Baby G400 and PIII616

What did you do with that game, tried it to run at 1200x1600x32
        Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

Thx for the hint

Originally posted by Indiana
          The Radeon 6018 drivers add a new button called "Theater mode" to the overlay-tab, which does exactly this (stretching any overlay from the primary display to fullscreen on the second/TVOut. Quite a nice new feature...
          This is good news for me, bad news for Matrox

DVDmax was the most important reason for me to keep the G400, second one were the high quality drivers. Are ATI's drivers really as bad as everyone says?
          main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Yes...
            AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
            AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
            Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
            Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

No way man!

I have finished the whole game at 1024x768x32 and everything at MAX and thats with my Vanila Ice Ice Baby G400 and PIII616
              No way in hell did you play that game on your rig at decent framerates whit all settings to max! The only way I could get it to perform anywhere near decent, was to disable all the goodies and run it at 800x600. There's just too much complexity in the level design for this game to perform well without a T&L capable card...

My guess is you just don't have very high standards when it comes to framerates ;-)

Concerning the ATI drivers: The ones I use with my Radeon 7500 haven't disappointed me yet....

Greets,
              Jorg
              _ _ ______________ _ _

Comment

Have you ever played Max with a Kyro2???

T&L doesn't make the world of difference you know.

Comment

Max Payne its not Q3 type of a game it doesn’t need 60Fps, even at 25 fps it runs smoothly. The only place were I was struggling was that car park level, and its even better because you don’t even need to use bullet time
                  Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

Flip-Oh:
                    You were also assimilated ?

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

The theater mode in the 6018 drivers is not very good.
                      1. You have to activate tv-out before you run a video.
                      2. And if I don't remember wrong, changed to newer drivers, you have to lower your resolution on the primary monitor to at least 1024*768 otherwise there will be a virtual desktop on the tv.

/Leo
                      AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
                      Asus A8N-E
                      Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
                      Asus Extreme GeForce N7800GT
                      Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB
                      Lian-Li PC60
                      Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

Yes, the Theater mode isn't quite DVDMax. And the new beta 6032 drivers no longer have the feature :-/
                        I also had problems with movies being scaled unproportionally.

Games and 2D are fine though ;-)
                        Going to try the DVD acceleration this weekend. I might have found out how to disable macrovision protection as well, something that I haven't been able to do with my G400 ;-)

And Jörg:
                        Afraid so ;-) Just finished Startrek Voyager: Elite Force Expansion pack. Bit short, but nice anyway. And it ran fine on my Matrox card ;-)
                        _ _ ______________ _ _

Comment

Originally posted by woel
                          The theater mode in the 6018 drivers is not very good.
                          1. You have to activate tv-out before you run a video.
                          2. And if I don't remember wrong, changed to newer drivers, you have to lower your resolution on the primary monitor to at least 1024*768 otherwise there will be a virtual desktop on the tv.

/Leo
                          What's wrong with point number 1? What's so terrible about having your primary cloned to the TV all the time?!? No, it doesn't take a performance hit.

And to point number 2: You will get a virtual oversized&scrolling desktop, of course. How should it be done otherwise??? The TVOut only supports resolutions up to 1024x768 (and show me one card that does higher TVOut res), how would you manage to fit a 1600x1200 screen on that? You could simply limit the resolution to 1024x768 (which is how most other cards are doing it), and this is much worse. With the ATI you can still keep 1600x1200 on your primary with TV-Clone turned on. The Theater mode will give you a fullscreen nonscrolling display in this mode as well, so no worry here.

BTW, the overlay will be scaled fullscreen not only to a monitor, but to anything connected to the second out, e.g. a monitor or a TFT as well.

The problem with 16:9 DivX files and the wrong aspect ratio is known (and the major competitor's DivX history is not really white, either).

Flip-Oh: The Theater mode is only hidden via a reg-setting (maybe because of this minor aspect flaw). You can easily activate it, juts search the registry for a key called "DisableOverlayTheaterMode", this is set to 1 in the 6032 drivers, set it to 0 and you'll get the Theater mode back.
                          Last edited by Indiana; 7 February 2002, 16:11.
                          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                          My System
                          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                          German ATI-forum

Comment

Hi!

You may be right on point 1 but with matrox dvdmax you get full screen video on the tv and at the same time you can run any resolution and refresh rate on the primary monitor.

/Leo
                            AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
                            Asus A8N-E
                            Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
                            Asus Extreme GeForce N7800GT
                            Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB
                            Lian-Li PC60
                            Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

Working...
                            X