Winter fireworks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter fireworks!

Let me tell all you MURCers about the weather in a place called Kansas City (KC). KC sits above the Canadian/Gulf of Mexico jet stream, so the weather tends to get very crazy at times. The past 2 days have taken the prize for craziness...and a little Jammrock fun

Basically, a warm pocket of air has been sitting on top of a cold pocket of air. The warm pocket lets down rain which hits the frozen ground and VIOLA!!! Ice rain. I've seen some nasty ice storms in my day, but this one takes the cake. It's been ice raining now for 2 days!!! The entire area is covered in 1-4 inches (2-10 cm) of ICE!!! Ever stepped on grass and heard it crunch? Ever chizzled off an inch (2.5 cm) of ice off your car's windshield?

So now it's been ice raining so much that 2 interesting things have happened. 1) The ice has packed on so much on trees that massive branches are breaking off and falling. Weaker trees are simply falling over all together. So when walking in a forested area (like much of my area is), you suddenly hear pop, snap, crack, snap...BOOOOOOOM and yet another tree falls over. The boom is about as loud as one of those big thunderclap rockets. I heard 5 in one minute at most, and it's been going on for hours.

2) The water and ice has begun to seep into everything...you know, like power transformers on power poles. The ice basically creates paths for electricity to flow to other cables and so forth. So while driving around town you see beautiful flashes of orange and green, caused by 6+ foot (~2 m) archs of electricty. Needless to say there have been several power outages and all my expensive electronics (like the new stereo) are all unplugged. It's a little disturbing to see the picture of the TV start distorting while watching...

So if you find a nice spot by a forest (but not IN the forest) on this beautiful KC night, you can see a winter firework display. Hear the lovely hum before the electric arch light shows of orange, red and green (can be seen from miles away). Hear the sound of tree limbs crashing to the ground from 50 feet up, in a cascade of breaking ice (had half a 50 foot elm tree drop 100 feet behind me....yikes). It's quite the scene.

Tomorrow it's supposed to start snowing. Snow covered ice...my favorite! Yummy!

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I'm just thinking of all the broken limbs car crashes and insurance companies rubbing there hands in glee about the price hikes they can do when the premiums are next due.
    Have you see Torval and Dean go skating past yet???
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I've seen this same thing happen in Germany...with all the ice they get there...kills alot of the trees etc. Only good thing was that I got iced in at Ramstein Airbase for 3-4 days before going to Bosina because of this .

Scott
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I'm in the same storm down here in OKC.
        We haven't had power to the house for 15 hours and it will be a long time (possibly days!) till it gets back on.

Luckily we are not all electric, so we can use the stove.

Brrrr.......

chuck
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

I need to get my Dad's digicam so I can take some pictures for you guys. The beauty and the chaos is amazing! Too bad I didn't have it last night when the transformers were blowing up.

The last time a storm like this came through in Oct 1996, power was out in parts for 2 weeks. Hopefully that won't be the case...

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Jammer,
            Is the sun out there?
            That is when these things get spectacularly beautiful.
            No such luck here. Cloudy & getting colder
            18F tonight! Brrrrr.......
            chuck
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
            X