Remote user access problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote user access problem

OK here's the problem. My boss (who is normally in a different city 300 kms away) has decided that he has to be able to access his server (ie-email, and personal folders) when he comes down once a month.

The servers are both running Window NT 4 sp6, and the workstation is windows 95. I should mention that it is a laptop that he brings with him. Email is an exchange server.

Can this be done? Myself and the other tech haven't been able to get it working.

We are suposed to be going to windows 2k in Nov 2001 (yes i know but the controling authority (in a third city) can't seem to pull their thumbs out). So if it can be done in in 2k that all the more justification to ignore the controllers and upgrade on our own (we already have all the discs we just need them to come down and show us poor dummies how do it - despite the fact we already have 2 workstations upgraded and working)

If anybody has some ideas to try please let me know.

jason

On solution would be for the techs responsible for the Exchange server to implement Outlook Web Access. This is a part of Exchange 5.5 SP1 and later. Be advised that the IT folks managing the Exchange serever will have to implement the IIS functions and all the appropriate security features/patches.

Your boss will be able to access his email and EXCHANGE PERSONAL FOLDERS and EXCHANGE PUBLIC FOLDERS from anywhere on the internet. He would not be able to directly access regular system directories. He would have to copy any such files into the exchange directories prior to travel.

Bottom line is that this is do able, but must be implemented by the home office IT folks. The good thing is that you can tell your boss about the solution, and get the "credit", without having to deal with the headaches of implementation. The bad thing is that you may have to burn any "blue chips" you might have with the Exchange server folks.

This is long winded enough........

Good luck
    Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

Working...
    X