Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ulead DVD Authoring - Higher End

This was just posted to the WWUG MediaStudio forum:

The back cover of the March 2002 issues of DV magazine has an add for Uleads new product DVD Workshop. It indicates the following features:

1. animate buttons & backgrounds

2. capture mpeg in real-time through firewire

3. deliver fast, professional menu templates

4. Create with 300+ graphic elements

It indicates early March availability for $299.

So - apparently Ulead has a higher-end DVD authoring package in the works.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

This is one I can't wait to see. Looks like they are getting ready to make a run on Sonic....

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Jerrold Jones

Yes...

I was just about to order DVD Movie Factory...

...and I still might...

...but - man - you have to admit the animation and other features of this new Ulead "DVD WorkShop" product really do sound nice!

I just ordered the Panasonic DVD-R LF-D311 drive, so I'll be doing my first DVD-R disc testing in the days and weeks ahead.

(This drive also does DVD-RAM.)

I'm not a wealthy individual, however, so it's a little tough for me to plunk down $320 for the bare drive and then another $300 for authoring software.

(That's especially true when one considers the DVD-RAM capability of the drive might require some extra software called WriteDVD to assure UDF 2.0 compatibility with Windows 2000. The WriteDVD software alone is about $90.)

But I'll be the first to admit the Ulead prices are quite reasonable.

I wonder how long that will remain the case, however, as it's obvious Ulead has expanded their R & D staff...

...I've heard they plan to expand the number of R & D engineers to 60!!

Ulead apparently has a rather impressive R & D facility in Taiwan's second largest city... called Kaohsiung... opened brand new just last year.

Last I heard, Microtek still holds about 60% of the Ulead stock, which is offered on the TAISDAQ over-the-counter exchange.

:-)
      Last edited by Jerry Jones; 29 January 2002, 13:32.

Comment

Doc, looks like you finally got them going on this. Now what would be cool, and a real blow to Sonic, is if this new Ulead authoring package does AC3 audio compression. With that and my new Pioneer A03 I'd be in hog heaven.
        Last edited by dchip; 29 January 2002, 22:28.

Comment

I got my issue of DV Magazine in the mail today and I'm now looking at the back cover of the magazine where Ulead does, indeed, have a new full page ad (referenced in an earlier post).

Here's the text of the ad:

Pow!
          Make heads spin with the POWer of Ulead DVD Workshop, Ulead's newest DVD authoring software.
          DVD Workshop's creative control gives you the POWer to:

- Animate buttons and backgrounds
          - Capture MPEG in real time through Firewire
          - Deliver fast, professional menu templates
          - Create with 300+ graphic elements

You've never experienced this kind of creative POWer at such a price.

Available early March for only $299!

See how it stacks up and pre-order yours TODAY at:

http:\\dvdws.ulead.com

Yes - I believe that Web site address is a mis-print as the slashes are backward.

The reference to that site is early because nothing comes up at that Web address, yet.

Jerry Jones

Comment

dchip,

Yeah, I did rant at the PM about some time ago (pre-DVD Plugin) about the need for them to get into authoring VCD/SVCD/DVD at multiple levels. I'm not sure if that rant had an influence but if it did...

Dr. Mordrid
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 January 2002, 12:43.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Sometimes a rant is what it takes. If this package turns out to be what it sounds like it is, then even the pricing would suggest that Ulead heard you. I remember you mentioned the stronghold certain companies have on full-featured DVD authoring packages, and, what you called "predatory pricing" on those products. Very apt description, by the way. When the reviews start to roll in on this this new Ulead package (assuming they are favorable) then there are legions of users, pro and home, out there with no higher-end DVD authoring capability, at all, who might find this package an affordable godsend. So, hats off to ULEAD.

Comment

Yup.

Companies like Sonic, Apple (by way of the acquisition of Spruce) and many others are getting a lot of money for products that can't be THAT hard to create. Not to mention that a LOT of these authoring packages are infested by some pretty predatory bugs :rolleyes

'tis about time a company with an agressive PRICING policy, like Ulead, got a chokehold on those @$#@#^@$'s

Dr. Mordrid
                :
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Looks like the new Ulead DVD WORKSHOP product will, indeed, be competing big time against Roxio's Video Pack 5.

And - this just in - Roxio has completed its acquisition of MGI Software.

This means Roxio will have both Easy CD Creator, Video Pack 5, *and* Ulead VideoStudio's arch nemesis "VideoWave" in the Roxio product line-up.

Comment

Working...
                  X