• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matrox vertex shaders in opengl?

just spotted this over at

quote from humus:

" Date Posted: Jan/28/2002 1:12 PM

Basically I agree on most of what Carmack says, but this ...

<< I really wish ATI would have just adopted Nvidia's extension, even if it meant not exposing every last bit of their hardware. >>

I have to defend ATi here, the GL_NV_vertex_program extension is nVidia proprietary, thus ATi cannot just implement it. They would need to pay licenses for it and still not be able to expose all the features of their vertex shader. Possibly the Radeon 8500 also doesn't support the full GL_NV_vertex_program specification too (nothing I know anything about though, just speculation). So instead they did their created their own, but in good spirit of OpenGL standardisation they sought input from other vendors, and Matrox joined them creating the GL_EXT_vertex_shader together. This extension isn't protected by any IP right either, so nVidia is free to implement it too. Most of the extension divergence in OpenGL is nVidias fault IMO. They have an annoying tendency of creating going in their own direction without trying to communicate with other vendors to create a standard. In the end I think it'll come right back at them since they'll need to support not only the ARB/EXT extensions, but also continue to support a zillion of GL_NV extensions that were hardwired to previous generation hardware."

he mentions GL_EXT_vertex_shader created by matrox and ati, is this a g550 thing, or something new???

i thought the vertex shader on g550 was headcasting only?
    This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Do talking heads use OpenGL or Direct3D? I dunno... I think it's the DirectX8 part of G550.
    This document is version 1.00 demonstrating the GL_EXT_vertex_shader, and its date is 8/20/2001... So either the specs are late or this isn't the thing that is used on the G550
    It's normal of a graphics hardware manufacturer to be interested in the development of 3D standards, of course...
    Last edited by Tempest; 29 January 2002, 09:23.

Comment

would it be a safe guess, that matrox will release a card that can do vertex shading in opengl, in the future?

as you can see here:
      http://www.opengl.org/developers/abo...001-12-11.html (well, atleast they are represented)
      they still care about the future of opengl, and unless they plan to do a professional opengl card, it must mean they still care about gaming.

or am i reading to much into this?
      Last edited by TdB; 29 January 2002, 11:15.
      This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Nobody ever reads too much into anything at MURC, do they?
        chuck
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Hmm now then...

Originally posted by TDB
          and unless they plan to do a professional opengl card
          ...but then again

Originally posted by TDB
          it must mean they still care about gaming.
          ...ah hell lets have both.

Comment

Wasnt it 3dLabs who said they worry about Matrox being a competitor, but dont care what ATI and NVidia do? I seem to remember something about that a few moneths (years) ago.

Could be prommising. I would say Matrox would be on to a winner with the high profit CAD/Pro crowd. It those circles cost is secondary, so we might see that 256bit bus card!

Ali

Comment

Hmm 3DLabs...

Comment

Now I get it Ant,
                you´re a hummingbird!

Comment

hmm

Comment

I am not a FONT! I am a man!
                    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Quit whining a go spell out something

Comment

Working...
                      X