No announcement yet.

G400 OpenGl stability issue, any idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 OpenGl stability issue, any idea?

Hello,

I am facing problems with OpenGl applications and the G400 Ihave, it is giving me some errors and goofy looking things. I went to the settings and disabled the Bus Mastering and here the Opengl application is running without any issue expt that the acceleration is weak and choppy. I have the latest drivers from Matrox and even I tried the december Beta ones. Only without Bus Mastering I can get stability in OpenGL programs but the acceleration gets weak without it. Any idea on how to keep Bus Mastering and fix the unstabilities

CHeers
    Michel

Some system specs would be helpful (IRQ's, hardware etc)

You may want to try the latest MTST Utility and see if that helps tweak out your OGL setup.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Specs

hello,

Thanks for the reply, I got the latest MTST utility and tried many options related to OepnGL but no luck. The system is a PII 333 MHZ 64 RAM 8 gig HD and Matrox G400 32RAM, since I got a new computer I formatted it and reinstalled Win Me on it. If you need more specs please let me know. I heard it can be related to IRQs from what I read in the Matrox options help but Ihave no idea How can I change the IRQs.
      What is bugging me is that I want to keep the Bus Mastering and have stability in OpenGl applications wish is not the case, without the Bus Mastering I get stable behavior but low acceleration or even none

Thanks again
      Michel

Comment

I was going to suggest setting MTSTU 4.02.04 OpenGL Optimization to 'Optimize for Accuracy' and rebooting to see if it helps.

We need real system specs... ie what MB, BIOS, IRQ's, etc...

By disabling bus mastering you've disabled all hardware accelleration on the G400... ok for diagnositics, crap for real world use.

IRQ's are set via CMOS (BIOS)
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
          I was going to suggest setting MTSTU 4.02.04 OpenGL Optimization to 'Optimize for Accuracy' and rebooting to see if it helps.
          No need to reboot there.
          By disabling bus mastering you've disabled all hardware accelleration on the G400... ok for diagnositics, crap for real world use.
          That's not true. Disabling busmaster does just that. Busmastering allows the CPU to do stuff while the videocard is busy on something else. The acceleration still is in place.
          True, it is a performance hit, but it might get things to work..

However, I recall something about OpenGL requiring busmastering, is that what you mean?

Comment

Once you disable bus mastering, you're taking about a 50% performance hit.

We still need system specs, but I would suspect your MB is being pushed too hard. That's probably an LX chipset.

Use the Matrox TSU to force AGP 1x, if it isn't doing so already.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Michael : Run>Msinfo32>Hardware resources>IRQ, Right click, save as text file, copy paste the info in it here.

Also post :

MB info (manuf/model)
              BIOS version
              Driver version
              G400 bios version (Display properties>Settings>Advanced>Information)
              Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Hello guys,

thanks so much for the help, I read on many forums that people are having the same issue with OpenGL aplpications. I found many tips that say we have to update the mainboard drivers etc.. things I never did since I bought that second hand computer for networking!! I will post my discoveries after updating the Mobo and the Bios of the Matrox card

Cheers !
                Michel

Comment

Hi Michel

what games are you playing and with os are you using? XP, 2000, Me?

Comment

Working...
                  X