G400 won't install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 won't install

I'm trying to run the G-400 dual head in my old Epox 3mvp3g-5 SS7 board. It ran flawlessly in my Abit KT7a/Raid. The card is recognized in device manager but has an exclamation mark. The device status dialogue box states: "Windows will attempt to restart without checking your computers hardware". The drivers are listed, and there are "no conflicts" in the resource box. If I set the bios to "agp slot first" I get no beeps and monitor stays on standby. I tried reassigning the IRQ from 11 to 10 but it made no difference. I tried another agp card and the puter booted just fine. I also took all other cards out and left just the Matrox in...again, no joy. I've updated drivers, tried old drivers, flashed the cards bios back to an older version all to no avail. Somehow yesterday I finally did get the card up and running and it ran great for 10 hours. I shut the computer off when I went to bed, woke up, turned it on and was met with the same problems I had yesterday. Any thoughts? I see no options left in the bios that I haven't tried (changing aperture size, etc). I'll chck out the M$ info base re: that dialogue message in device manager, otherwise this has me totally stumped, particularly after thinking I had the problem solved TIA!

Do you have the Via AGP patch installed?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have 4.37 via agp drivers set to normal. Two other AGP cards (GEFORCE2 mx400 and Hercules Prophet 4000xt) worked fine. Is there an agp patch I'm not aware of other than the win 2000 patch?? I'm running win 98fe. Thanks for the reply.
      Last edited by mplsmelo; 28 January 2002, 22:31.

Comment

Oh, you had two other video cards in there already? It's likely that the other video drivers did not leave the system as they found it. Did you uninstall those drivers? Clean the registry?
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

problems began long before i ever installed the other twoAGP cards. The Matrox was put in after a clean install of win 98. It was only the second card to go in. Fisrt card was an ATI Expert 98. Uninstalled that, then installed the Matrox. As I stated earlier, the G400 ran fine on my KT7a/raid, and i tried out several cards in that board, switching back and forth between the Matrox and others. Do you know what that message is in device manager under the Matrox's Device Status ("Windows will attempt to restart without checking your computers hardware"). I believe a good portion of the answer lies in deciphering that message.

Comment

MVP3 chips are a lot pickier than their later cousins. Also, you installed an ATI of all things, before the Matrox card. ATI has the worst drivers in the business. I think Benjamin Franklin said it best: "The only things certain in life are death, taxes, and shitty ATI drivers." Those other drivers are still the most likely cause of your problems.

Maybe it can be worked around. Go to the Matrox site and download their Hardware Diagnostic Utility. Also, how about an IRQ list?

Comment

a response from another forum:

I used a g400 on the Ep mvpg2 without any problems,so I don't see why it wouldn't work on your board.In fact used it about 1 year on that board,without a hitch,so I suspect something else.Have you posted at MURC?
              Try running it in Matrox hardware forum.
              I know others there used the same card on the same mobo.
              Yours is the one with 2 megs cache,mine had 1.
              Have you flashed the bios on the motherboard?
              Double checked the jumpers on the board?
              What cpu is in there?
              Have you uninstalled all drivers for previous agp cards?
              Have you checked the system in safemode and removed all references to display and monitor?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll try uninstalling the ATI again and reinstalling the G400, but what you're saying regarding picky drivers seems to apply more to Matrox than ATI (expert 98 drivers are solid as can be....been using these cards for 3 1/2 years). Are you implying that Matrox cannot live with an ATI driver on an MVP chipset? The KT133 chip has more known issues than the MVP, yet both the ATI and MATROX cohabitated in that system without a hitch. I've also run the ATI with several othrer cards on the MVP chipset without so much as a hiccup.

Comment

If your really get no beeps and the monitor stays on standby then it can not be the drivers... Did you try the new Matrox HW Diagnostics Utility as Wombat suggested ?

Here's the link: ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/utils/t...p/makedisk.zip

Comment

My G400 MAX ran perfectly in my MVP3G5, and even got along with a SBLive! in same system without any sound glitches or anything!

Comment

There is one thing that may have been overlooked.
                    If the card worked fine for a day,more than likely the card may be fine.
                    If I recall,sometimes the g200 and 400 would not mate with the agp slot correctly,and the workaround was to loosen the little hold down nuts on the back and manipulate the card so it would fully engage.
                    Because it seems strange that the card works in another system,works in this system and then cuts out.
                    Does anyone think this could be the possible culprit?
                    If so,what was the exact trick to get the card to sit right?
                    Has anyone ever seen that error message?
                    Windows will attempt to restart without checking your computer's hardware?
                    Have you attempted to use the card in the other system,since this happened?
                    Isn't there a jumper for voltage on that board and is it set to it's default setting?

Comment

but alfie, if the above were true how could windows recognize the card? BTW, my voltage is set @ 2.3v up .1 from default as i am oc'ing by 50mhz.

I reinstalled the card tonight (with the PCI card in so I could boot) and ran the Hardware utility. It aborted after stating: "PRIMARY BIOS NOT IDENTIFIED, ABORTING TESTS". I then updated bios to 2.55 and interstingly it stated that the cards eprom version weas the same as the file version. So, it WAS identifying the card as having the proper bios. Did the hardware utility fail because the PCI card was my primary adapter, or is my bios messed up?

Now what?? Thanks!

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

O.K. Did I ever mention that the Epox was oc'd by a measly 50mhz? Well, that was enough for the Matrox to not run. I clocked the board back to default 450 and bingo!!! I love this card, but it's the first one in 3 years to have a problem on my board oc'd to 500mhz. I guess the logical thing to do is to up my voltage to 2.4 (default is 2.2 and I always ran it oc'd at 2.3) and see if the G400 is happy with that. Otherwise...well, it's only 50mhz, but tell me why the G400 doesn't like it at 500? And thanks for all the suggestions, they were greatly appreciated.

Comment

OC'd the G-400 by 5% and reset the mb multipliers to 100x5. Voila! Running stabily @500mhz and the G400 boots with no problem. Technical explanations welcome.

Comment

You weren't specific enough about how it was originally overclocked.

Old v New?

Comment

Originally it was oc'd at 100x5. That's as it is now, but with the G400 oc'd by 5%. That's all it took for the G400 to boot. Without the card oc'd it would only boot with the cpu at default 450 (100x4.5). Do you know why?

Comment

Working...
                              X