Monitor says "OUT OF SCAN RANGE"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor says "OUT OF SCAN RANGE"

I just got a dual head Matrox G450 Video card. When I install it into a Epox 8KHA or a Soltek 75DRV2(both have AWARD BIOS's), the monitor says "OUT OF SCAN RANGE", and I can't see anything at all! Can't see "POST" or anything. How do I adjust settings without the monitor working? Monitor is a Sony made for Dell. The card works perfectly in a ECS-K7S5A mobo(AMI BIOS) with the same monitor..........

That message almost always means that the video card isn't sending an image. Epox has very good diagnostics with those LEDs. What do they say?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by cking4@ford.com
      Getting the same results on both heads?
      Yes, with 2 identical monitors. The problem has something to do with the AWARD BIOS settings. I get no display during "POST" what-so-ever, on 2 different computers that have AWARD BIOS's. The computer with the AMI BIOS, works perfectly, with 2 monitors connected.........

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
        That message almost always means that the video card isn't sending an image. Epox has very good diagnostics with those LEDs. What do they say?
        The leds show that it has booted up correctly. As the screen flickers briefly, I can see that it was a normal boot. The normal windows "start" music can be heard. The card is evidently sending a signal the monitor can't handle.
        Now remember, that the card works in a computer with a AMI BIOS just fine, using these same monitors. There must be a setting in the AWARD BIOS that is causing the problem. Trouble is that I don't even see the "POST", so I can't go into the BIOS unless I change the card back to the orignal....

Comment

Two things:
          1) Can you boot in safe mode? I've done it blind.

2) The G400 may have a corrupt BIOS, or maybe the Epox does.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Two things:
            1) Can you boot in safe mode? I've done it blind.

2) The G400 may have a corrupt BIOS, or maybe the Epox does.
            I have managed to get into the safe mode with "F8", that's easy. Still can't see anything. The G450 works fine with computers that have AMI BIOS's. And the EPOX works with several other video cards I have. Do you think the G450 would work in one computer with a corrupt BIOS, and not work in another? How do I reset the G450 BIOS?

Comment

Oh, this is a G450. I missed that part earlier. Is it a G450 PCI version? They are incompatible, according to Matrox, with "non-Intel" chipsets.

Comment

Oh, this is a G450. I missed that part earlier. Is it a G450 PCI version? They are incompatible, according to Matrox, with "non-Intel" chipsets.
                Yes, it's a G450, AGP card. It works perfectly in a ECS-K7S5A(SIS-735 chipset) that is powered by an AMD 1.4Gig Athlon. When I install it into an EPOX 8KHA(VIA K266 chipset), I get no display what-so-ever. The same is true for a Soltek 75DRV2(VIA K266A chipset) that is powered by a XP1700+ CPU.
                Maybe the one that works is just a quirk. Do you have a link that identifies compatability issues? Hey, by the way, Thanks for your time!........

Comment

Out of Scan Range

I've been trying to find an answer to this problem for the last 3 years and still have not found one. The one thing that seems to be constant in this problem is the about 95% of the people reporting this problem are using Sony monitors, me included. So, I have a feeling that it's a Sony problem but they don't update their drivers very often, and the latest version doesn't fix the problem. Good luck. L8r

Mick
                  Mick

Comment

No, it does the same thing with a 15' Viewstar. It's something in the BIOS. I can't even see the "POST" process.....

Comment

Well you're the first person That I have seen that blames it on the BIOS make... there are others here that run the G450 on a 735 chipset with an Award BIOS and they don't have the problem (even my G450 worked with the Award BIOS on my MB)... indeed tis a strange one
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                        Well you're the first person That I have seen that blames it on the BIOS make... there are others here that run the G450 on a 735 chipset with an Award BIOS and they don't have the problem (even my G450 worked with the Award BIOS on my MB)... indeed tis a strange one
                        That's great news, so what's the solution to the problem?

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED!

"Louie" over at the Matrox Tech Support Forum nailed the solution on the 3ed try! The card had an outdated BIOS! "SETUP255.EXE" brought Dual Monitors in living color to my computer room.
                          Thanks to everyone here, that offered a solution to try!

Comment

You mean you didn't go there first?

Comment

You mean you didn't go there first?
                              Was at both at the same time!.........

Comment

Working...
                              X