Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Motherboard suggestions

Hi all.

I have a new setup at home using the MS-6301 MOBO with the i820 chip set. I have been trying to sort this thing out for the past month am at the point of sending it back. My problems are

1:My SB16 will not playback 16 bit sound. It sounds like garbage. Records it fine. Plays and records 8 fine OK.

2. I can't capture better that 2.5 meg/sec 8 bit sound. Anything higher and it will capture 8 frames and then stop.

I can find no conflicts in the system and no one else in any news groups with this MOBO.

I have 128 Pc133 memory, Coppermine 550E CPU, Matrox Mystique and Rainbow Runner capture card with the latest (jan99) drivers. Win 95 OSR2B.

This all worked fine on my old P200 system. (A few dropped frames @ 3 meg/sec)

Does anyone have a suggestion for a MOBO that will work with the SB16 and RRS. UDMA66 interface is not esential as I have a Hotrod66 card from my old system that I can use on my capture drive.

Thanx in advance
    paulw

I have a Soyo 6BA+III. It is based on the older BX chipset. The model itself is about a year old. The next newer Soyo BX board is the +IV but the hardware sites seemed to have raved about the +III a lot more than its newer sibling. It has proven itself fast and stable and has compared very favorably performance-wise against newer BX mobos and even mobos with the latest VIA 694X chipset as long as your AGP card stays within spec.
    With a new bios, it is compatible with the coppermines. I am able to run my celeron 400 at 540Mhz (90x6) very stably at default voltage though I have the capability to increase this voltage by 10% at 2.5% intervals. I have been capturing yuy2 mpeg4 CIF with my MarvelG400TV using MSP6 without dropped frames with a Maxtor 20GB 7200RPM IDE drive.
    I suppose that since you've gotten an I820 mobo, you could very well afford any mobo you set your heart on.
    If you like new, try visiting www.hardocp.com. The webmaster is Kyle Bennet (well thought of among hardware site people) and his current darling is the VIA694X based ABIT motherboard. He had a Soyo 6BA+IV on his personal machine for quite a while until he switched to this newer motherboard. You can read what he says about the motherboards I have mentioned.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to say, I have an 'old' SB16 ISA card installed on my SY6BA+III and I have no problems with it, even when I installed Win95B with it.
      Oh, for what it's worth, lot's of the hardware sites agree that the I820 chipset is problematic.

Comment

Working...
      X