matrox vs hauppauge dropped frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matrox vs hauppauge dropped frames

I've got myself a WinTV on my way to replacing my G400TV and have noticed a few things with captures. At the moment I'm using the VFW version of AVI_IO for single field captures on the WinTV. When capturing from the G400 the IO buffs hovered around 3 - 5, but the WinTV hangs around 0 - 1. I can do more window moving with far less frame drops (show window contents when dragging), but I suspect this is just because the video is going across the PCI bus instead of the AGP bus.

An interesting thing though is when capturing from an unstable source such as a crap video tape, the Matrox excells dropping few frames (it BSODs should the video quality ever plummet however), while the WinTV drops a very large number of frames. Not sure if this is a result of the WinTV driver or just an example of how the BT8x8 handles itself.

With a clean source both drop no frames (well, AVI_IO does audio sync drops, but thats another story)

Anyone else seen the BT drop frames from a video tape? Any cures apart from a TBC? I'm keeping the G400 in another box as a home theatre machine so if I need to transfer a tape I'll still have that ability.
    @DrP #Windows95 DALnet
Working...
X