Game Developers Conference
    San Jose, California
    March 19-23, 2002

and the

E3
    L.A. California
    May 22-24, 2002

are mentioned.

Yet on the sites of GDC, in the exhibitors list (http://www.gdconf.com/expo/exhibitorlist/index.htm ), I can't find Matrox. For the E3, it is exactly the same (http://www.e3expo.com/current_exhibi...cfm?search=M-P ).

So will they be attending these events ? Or do they have speakers there (which minimises the chances of M releasing something ...)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I have niticed the same thing before, last years CeBit (CeBit 2001), Matrox came on the list only one week before the tradeshow started!

As far as i know, Matrox is attending both tradeshows

Comment

With their own booth ?
      (please please... )

Or just with a speaker ?
      (D'Oh )

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Maybe they'll have something to say to gamers come March

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 January 2002, 10:22.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
          Maybe they'll have something to say to gamers come March

Dr. Mordrid
          Yes, lets hope Matrox realy can suprise us in the positive direction this time!

I want a GeForce4 & ATI R300 killer, with the exelent quality from Matrox!

Comment

There is a test on Anandtech of a special Unreal 2 demo. It seems that the current crop of graphics cards will have a hard time running this beast at high resolutions. If I am going to pay a hefty amount of money for my next gen card then it is gonna have to leave the current ones standing. It could well be that even that the GF4 and R300 may not be fast enough for the games that are in development.

regards MD
            Interests include:
            Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

The Unreal Performance Test 2002 (UPT) has nothing to do with any of the games using our engine and should not be used to draw conclusions about game performance. I’ll contact Anand and make sure he knows to highlight this. The benchmark is designed specifically to push the latest and greatest graphics cards as hard as we can. UPT is about the future, not the present. All of this will become clearer over the next few months. We will also be adding more features and content to UPT2002 to push things even harder. "Influence, Educate and Improve" will be our motto for the Unreal Performance Test. A lot of cool things are planned. In popular game development lingo what you're seeing now are some preliminary results from what equates to an early alpha version. Stay tuned!

Afterthought: I guess I shouldn't say "as hard as we can" because I'm sure we could push things even harder if we weren't so busy making our game. The Unreal Engine is no longer CPU bound so if you want to make a game that pushes the absolute upper limits of xxx [i.e. insert the name of some imaginary future card that has massively higher fillrate and poly throughput and might be announced the week after next] you certainly could but then, of course, nothing earlier than that could run it. This test is very much about making something to test today's high end cards and the cards of the future. Putting the lower-end cards in the test wasn't really fair because the content wasn't designed to support those levels of performance. Certainly the games using the engine this year wouldn't want to be so aggressive with the content and detail settings. To borrow a phrase from Spinal Tap, the UPT detail settings are set at "11". Unreal2 and Unreal Tournament 2, for example, certainly won't be set at "11" because we want EVERYONE to be able to enjoy them. I suppose Unreal Championship could be dialed up to "11" because it's on Xbox, maybe even "11.5".

One more thing (this will be corrected in the article shortly): Dan Vogel said the flyby had “as many as 100,000 triangles.” – to clarify that it should say as many as “100,000 triangles in view.” There are certainly a LOT more than 100,000 triangles in the demo.

Anandtech rocks!

--Mark Rein, Epic Games Inc.
              So don't worry guys G400 will cut it like a knife through butter
              Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

Re: events on matrox website

Originally posted by Verstraete J
                Yet on the sites of GDC, in the exhibitors list (http://www.gdconf.com/expo/exhibitorlist/index.htm ), I can't find Matrox. For the E3, it is exactly the same (http://www.e3expo.com/current_exhibi...cfm?search=M-P ).
                have another look, now they appeared on that list of exhibitors ...
                Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                LG BH10LS38
                LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Yeah, very verbosely... It says "Matrox"

Nothing fancy like "Matrox Graphics"... But the GDC is listed on Matrox Graphics' events calendar, and I don't think other Matrox departments would be interested in gaming (then again, I didn't think even the Graphics department would be interested in that with their current hardware - although they have that cute Matrox Gaming Club thingy )

Let's just hope that we'll see more than the G550 running a flight simulator using DualHead at 8 frames per second... If they have some nifty hardware to be released they could be demonstrating and discussing it behind closed doors, of course.

Comment

Well just maybe we'll be treated to something rather nice

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                      Well just maybe we'll be treated to something rather nice
                      Like http://www.gdconf.com/expo/exhibitor...boothcrawl.pdf ?
                      If there is a booth map somewhere on the GDC site, I failed to find it... Matrox' booth is ES-315, dunno what that means but there are not so many exhibitors with "ES"-kind of booth codes..? Must not be that bad, with companies like the MS X-box, AMD and Sega...

Ant: Nice sig, now who does that remind me of? Maybe we all should change our signatures to read "despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not an (whatever)"...

Comment

Originally posted by Tempest

Ant: Nice sig, now who does that remind me of? Maybe we all should change our signatures to read "despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not an (whatever)"...
                        though the avatar confuses me
                        Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                        Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                        Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

have another look, now they appeared on that list of exhibitors ...
                          Phew, that is some good news !
                          Countdown to GDC has really begun !

Tempest:
                          8 fps, is that alternating one frame for each head ?

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

Tempest:
                            8 fps, is that alternating one frame for each head ?
                            only if you're crosseyed... then it's called interpolated
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The timing would certainly be right for a top notch vid card especially after the release of cards named gf4, how creative, eh?
                              jim

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not a cowboy ...
                              System 1:
                              AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                              Epox 8K7A
                              2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                              an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                              SBLIVE 5.1
                              Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                              IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                              Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                              3Com Hardware Modem
                              Teac 20/10/40 burner
                              Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Working...
                              X