Game Developers Conference
San Jose, California
March 19-23, 2002

and the

E3
L.A. California
May 22-24, 2002

are mentioned.

Yet on the sites of GDC, in the exhibitors list (http://www.gdconf.com/expo/exhibitorlist/index.htm ), I can't find Matrox. For the E3, it is exactly the same (http://www.e3expo.com/current_exhibitors/current_exhibitors.cfm?search=M-P ).

So will they be attending these events ? Or do they have speakers there (which minimises the chances of M releasing something :(...)

Jörg

[GDI]Raptor
25th January 2002, 02:31
I have niticed the same thing before, last years CeBit (CeBit 2001), Matrox came on the list only one week before the tradeshow started!

As far as i know, Matrox is attending both tradeshows

VJ
25th January 2002, 03:05
With their own booth ?
(please please... :D)

Or just with a speaker ?
(D'Oh :()

Jörg

Dr Mordrid
25th January 2002, 09:19
Maybe they'll have something to say to gamers come March :D

Dr. Mordrid

[GDI]Raptor
25th January 2002, 11:04
Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
Maybe they'll have something to say to gamers come March :D

Dr. Mordrid
Yes, lets hope Matrox realy can suprise us in the positive direction this time!

I want a GeForce4 & ATI R300 killer, with the exelent quality from Matrox!

mdhome
25th January 2002, 13:47
There is a test on Anandtech of a special Unreal 2 demo. It seems that the current crop of graphics cards will have a hard time running this beast at high resolutions. If I am going to pay a hefty amount of money for my next gen card then it is gonna have to leave the current ones standing. It could well be that even that the GF4 and R300 may not be fast enough for the games that are in development.

regards MD

Kastuvas
25th January 2002, 14:03
The Unreal Performance Test 2002 (UPT) has nothing to do with any of the games using our engine and should not be used to draw conclusions about game performance. I’ll contact Anand and make sure he knows to highlight this. The benchmark is designed specifically to push the latest and greatest graphics cards as hard as we can. UPT is about the future, not the present. All of this will become clearer over the next few months. We will also be adding more features and content to UPT2002 to push things even harder. "Influence, Educate and Improve" will be our motto for the Unreal Performance Test. A lot of cool things are planned. In popular game development lingo what you're seeing now are some preliminary results from what equates to an early alpha version. Stay tuned!

Afterthought: I guess I shouldn't say "as hard as we can" because I'm sure we could push things even harder if we weren't so busy making our game. The Unreal Engine is no longer CPU bound so if you want to make a game that pushes the absolute upper limits of xxx [i.e. insert the name of some imaginary future card that has massively higher fillrate and poly throughput and might be announced the week after next] you certainly could but then, of course, nothing earlier than that could run it. This test is very much about making something to test today's high end cards and the cards of the future. Putting the lower-end cards in the test wasn't really fair because the content wasn't designed to support those levels of performance. Certainly the games using the engine this year wouldn't want to be so aggressive with the content and detail settings. To borrow a phrase from Spinal Tap, the UPT detail settings are set at "11". Unreal2 and Unreal Tournament 2, for example, certainly won't be set at "11" because we want EVERYONE to be able to enjoy them. I suppose Unreal Championship could be dialed up to "11" because it's on Xbox, maybe even "11.5".

One more thing (this will be corrected in the article shortly): Dan Vogel said the flyby had “as many as 100,000 triangles.” – to clarify that it should say as many as “100,000 triangles in view.” There are certainly a LOT more than 100,000 triangles in the demo.

Anandtech rocks!

--Mark Rein, Epic Games Inc.

So don't worry guys G400 will cut it like a knife through butter :p

Maggi
29th January 2002, 07:06
Originally posted by Verstraete J
Yet on the sites of GDC, in the exhibitors list (http://www.gdconf.com/expo/exhibitorlist/index.htm ), I can't find Matrox. For the E3, it is exactly the same (http://www.e3expo.com/current_exhibitors/current_exhibitors.cfm?search=M-P ).

have another look, now they appeared on that list of exhibitors (http://www.gdconf.com/expo/exhibitorlist/index.htm) ... :)

Tempest
29th January 2002, 08:04
Yeah, very verbosely... It says "Matrox" :D

Nothing fancy like "Matrox Graphics"... But the GDC is listed on Matrox Graphics' events calendar, and I don't think other Matrox departments would be interested in gaming (then again, I didn't think even the Graphics department would be interested in that with their current hardware - although they have that cute Matrox Gaming Club thingy :))

Let's just hope that we'll see more than the G550 running a flight simulator using DualHead at 8 frames per second... If they have some nifty hardware to be released they could be demonstrating and discussing it behind closed doors, of course.

Ant
29th January 2002, 08:13
Well just maybe we'll be treated to something rather nice ;)

Tempest
29th January 2002, 08:45
Originally posted by Ant
Well just maybe we'll be treated to something rather nice ;) Like http://www.gdconf.com/expo/exhibitorservicesmanual/boothcrawl.pdf ? :D
If there is a booth map somewhere on the GDC site, I failed to find it... Matrox' booth is ES-315, dunno what that means but there are not so many exhibitors with "ES"-kind of booth codes..? Must not be that bad, with companies like the MS X-box, AMD and Sega...

Ant: Nice sig, now who does that remind me of? Maybe we all should change our signatures to read "despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not an (whatever)"...

KeiFront
29th January 2002, 08:55
Originally posted by Tempest

Ant: Nice sig, now who does that remind me of? Maybe we all should change our signatures to read "despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not an (whatever)"...

though the avatar confuses me ;)

VJ
29th January 2002, 09:33
have another look, now they appeared on that list of exhibitors ...

Phew, that is some good news !
Countdown to GDC has really begun ! :D

Tempest:
8 fps, is that alternating one frame for each head ? :)

Jörg

Greebe
29th January 2002, 09:58
Tempest:
8 fps, is that alternating one frame for each head :) ?

only if you're crosseyed... then it's called interpolated :D

DuRaNgO
29th January 2002, 10:52
The timing would certainly be right for a top notch vid card especially after the release of cards named gf4, how creative, eh?
jim

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not a cowboy ... :p

cbman
29th January 2002, 12:58
Ohhh... I can't wait.. I hope so, I bet my friend that if Matrox beat NVidia with a card that he would have to pay for half of it. If NVidia wins then I have to pony up half of a GeForce 4 MX.

:D Come on Matrox!!!!!!!!!

:p

Ant
29th January 2002, 13:03
Go for top of the range, that will make one hell of a dent in his wallet ;)

Ali
29th January 2002, 13:35
Ant, you seem to be posting lke you know something. Not just pulling our chain again are you.

I do seeem to remember you dropped similar hints around the time the TurboGL drivers were released though.

Sounds good

Ali

Maggi
29th January 2002, 14:07
you guys are just too funny ... :D

RC Agent
29th January 2002, 14:52
Originally posted by cbman
Ohhh... I can't wait.. I hope so, I bet my friend that if Matrox beat NVidia with a card that he would have to pay for half of it. If NVidia wins then I have to pony up half of a GeForce 4 MX.

:D Come on Matrox!!!!!!!!!

:p
You better start saving up money for your friends GeForce 4. :confused: j/k.

--
RC Agent

rubank
29th January 2002, 15:32
WHAT?!?

Ant not an insect?? My gawd he had me fooled.

Well, being on the web he must be a spider then.

- - - - - - - -
Weil Ich heisse rubank Ich bin kein hobel :cool:

cbman
29th January 2002, 19:48
Hmm... here is Rubanks Sig Babelfished

Because I am not called rubank I am a plane

:D :D :D

xortam
29th January 2002, 20:21
Okay ... since we're still paying homage to Maggie ;) ...

<hr><TABLE BGCOLOR=Aqua><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Blue>^<font COLOR=Navy>¶@/\/\</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not dislexic.

DentyCracker
29th January 2002, 21:43
Hehehehe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not a bigot
(at least I don't think so)

[GDI]Raptor
30th January 2002, 03:33
I belive Ant know more than he is willing to say..... :)

I realy don't belive Matrox is tending GDC to show a G550 with Flight Simulator on DualHead with 4 fps per Head.... :p

Good thing its only an GeForce4 MX card not an GeForce4 Ti card.... :D

RedRed
30th January 2002, 04:23
Ant certainly seems more positive than he has done in some time... perhaps your right... Maybe Matrox IS about to start something new.... Lets hope they dont call it the Phoenix.... that usually is the kiss of death to any company

RedRed

Novdid
30th January 2002, 07:39
Despite my nick name causing confusion I ¤%#%& #%#¤¤!!!:D

DuRaNgO
30th January 2002, 14:52
Frankly, the name doesn't matter one iota (sp) or instead of buying the original G400, I'd had bought the
"Excelsior Quad TNT Gladiac Stealth 485347 Pro Elite III"
;)
jim

MK
30th January 2002, 16:45
These are good news indeed ! Thanks for the hint, Maggi !

MK