Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a new HD now...what should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new HD now...what should I get?

Either a 40 or 60 GB. But I'm not sure which one to get. The IBM 60GXP is fast but seems that it has reliablity issues. Quantum used to be reliable until they got bought out by maxtor. I have 4/10 AS died on me and they are slower the LM they replace. Seagate are pretty slow in comparison. Seems that the only choice is the WD 400BB but are those good?

Personally, I think it's a toss up between a Seagate baracuda IV, and the Western Digital Caviar Special Edition (if you can find one).
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Actually if you buy the newer ATA133 Maxtor drives you're as likely to get a Quantum design as a Maxtor one.

Even so the older DiamondMax Plus 40's are very good drives. I have several in RAID's and they're humming right along.

Those new Maxtors also mark the introduction of Maxtors "Big Drive" initiatve that uses 48 bit addresing. This will allow drives of up to 144 PB (PetaBytes: 144 million gigs).

FYI: Promise will be updating their cards BIOS's to support 48 bit addressing as well. No dates I can release though.

The ATA133's will also be the last parallel ATA drives before the move to Serial ATA in the next generation.

With Serial ATA you will lose the ribbon and power cables in favor of a single hot-pluggable USB sized cable that'll carry both signal and power at even faster speeds:

150 mb/s in generation 1 (by 2002)

300 mb/s in generation 2 (by 2005)

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 January 2002, 00:55.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Hmm.. after downloading some divx-movies im pretty much out of hd-space.. AGAIN.

I was thinking about the Maxtor ( damn hard to write, i allways write matrox. ) ATA133-drive. Guessing 80G might be the sweetspot now. Anyone actually used one of these ?

PeTe

Comment

I just picked up a 100 GB Western Digital WD1000JB, it's a really sweet drive
          "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Originally posted by PeTe
            Hmm.. after downloading some divx-movies im pretty much out of hd-space.. AGAIN.

I was thinking about the Maxtor ( damn hard to write, i allways write matrox. ) ATA133-drive. Guessing 80G might be the sweetspot now. Anyone actually used one of these ?

PeTe
            A friend of me bought one last week, it died after one day . Maybe he just got a bad one
            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I keep hoping that IBM will offer a magical "trade in your crappy 45GB 75GXP's for nice not-so-noisy not-so-prone-to-self-destruct models". *sigh*

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                I keep hoping that IBM will offer a magical "trade in your crappy 45GB 75GXP's for nice not-so-noisy not-so-prone-to-self-destruct models". *sigh*

- Gurm
                /* Destroy your 75gxp */
                1, move your data off.
                2, re partition with 3 equal size partitions
                3, fill partiton one with files
                4 write a batch file tp move that group of files
                back & forth between partition 1 and partiton 3
                5 loop till drive breaks (it won't take long)
                6 run DFT & get new 60Gig 60GXP in exchange.

chuck
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

WILL they actually do me an exchange of a 60GXP for my 75GXP? Seriously?

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by KeiFront

A friend of me bought one last week, it died after one day . Maybe he just got a bad one
                    I have had 1 do that to straight out of the box but thats not to bad since I have sold a couple of hundreds d740x models already!
                    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                      WILL they actually do me an exchange of a 60GXP for my 75GXP? Seriously?

- Gurm
                      They did me when two 45 Gig 75GXPs of mine wnet out in one week.
                      They sent me back 2 60 GIG 60 GXPs.
                      I didn't ask or anything either.
                      chuck

PS They have to use 60 Gigs because there is no 45 Gig 75GXP
                      Last edited by cjolley; 25 January 2002, 08:57.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

I just bought Maxtor 740dx, new hdd with only one plate. It is really fast, I get over 43mb/s average read rate. I can recomend it, it is very quiet too.

Comment

Don't get too excited about the 75GXP's....both them and the 60GXP's have been having problems...

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Yeah, but the 60GXP's have GOT to be quieter than these noisy-ass things.

- Gurm

Comment

Originally posted by sasa
                              I just bought Maxtor 740dx, new hdd with only one plate. It is really fast, I get over 43mb/s average read rate. I can recomend it, it is very quiet too.
                              How did you measure that read speed ? No IDE disk delivers more than maybe 25 MB/s at the end of the disk in a sequential read test.
                              "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Working...
                              X