Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox reinvents the magnifieer app!

Matrox PixelTOUCH: helping users see the bigger pixel
    Part of the Matrox PowerDesk software utility, PixelTOUCH lets you zoom-in on your current mouse pointer position to view areas of the desktop in larger detail. See how visually impaired users are benefiting from this feature:
    http://www.matrox.com/mga/start/news...pixeltouch.cfm
    Got this in Matrox monthly(that only come once or twice every half year) E-mail...

Why do Software and hardware wendors have to reinvent the magnifier app all the time??

This app already exists in W98 -->XP!

It seems like a complete waste of time to anounce it as a new bold and bright idea....
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

it was a feature on the matrox powerdesk for my old matrox mystique.
    it is probably a good thing for graphic designers/artists, I never used it myself(im no graphic designerartist).

It seems like a complete waste of time to anounce it as a new bold and bright idea....
    they probably needed some time to kill...

PR dude#1: man! im bored, we haven´t anounced anything all week!

PR dude#2: hey! I just found this nifty feature, in the old drivers....
    This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

How do you access the Windows built-in maginifier, and does it use hardware to zoom in?

Comment

startmunu/settings/controlpanel/add&remove (icon) / windows setup / accessibility / accessibility tools /
        (you may need you're windows CD to install the tools )

"does it use hardware to zoom in?"
        I dont think matrox use hardware to zoom , just a simple copy of the computers graphics memory?
        i don't seem to have Matrox Magnifier on my system , but easy test of Matrox Magnifier would be to see if
        it could magnify a mpeg/avi video being played ?

the Microsoft Magnifier will most likely display everything except the video being played

the video is drawn to a special hardware overlay so it never rests in the graphics memory that
        the Microsoft Magnifier is reading from

Many Graphic cards come with Magnifier programs

zeb7
        My PC :Matrox G400TV AMD Duron750mhz@850mhz,256Mb,Abit KT7133raid,10gb ibm,10gb seagete,20gb7.2k-rmp fujitsu,LG CDWR 40x16x10
        win98se
        Entertainment : P150mhz@160mhz,16mb,VX MBoad,PCI-TNT with TV/out,H+ dvd,Creative x5 dvd

Comment

There is a difference in applicability :
          Magnifier always positions itself to the top of the screen, and requires a portion that is "non magnified". It then doubles the area around the cursor (once in regular size, and once visible in a bar at the top of the screen).
          The PixelTouch enlarges the area around the mouse, but it is no longer visible at "regular" size. The desktop then scrolls as a virtual desktop.

For typing text, the Magnifier seems of more use then pixeltouch (you quickly reach the end of the screen, only the mousecursor scrolls). Viewing images however is easier with PixelTouch.

Oh, and movies can be played very well !
          (on my G200)

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

PixelTouch has been a Matrox PowerDesk feature since the dark ages of Windows 3.1 - along with dynamic resolution and pixel depth switching - long before MS supported them natively.

Some people might have missed PixelTouch entirely because it's only hotkey-driven...

Phoenix

Comment

Phoenix:
              Good argument, M was first !

In later Windowsversions, it was also accessible through the desknav tool...

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Well, one way or the other I like PixelTOUCH... it's great for those annoying Quicktime videos that don't open a seperate window and are locked into a tiny viewport. Just a quick CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-Z (don't want to accidentaly activate it ) and you've got a much better view of a movie trailer or whatever it might be.

Comment

The same page links to <a href="http://www.matrox.com/mga/dualhead/test.cfm">more testimonials</a> on PixelTouch and DualHead.

One story:

<strong>Microsoft®</strong>
                  The DualHead Multi-Display capabilities on my Millennium G400 MAX are incredibly useful for debugging applications that span multiple machines. I use Microsoft® Netmeeting to view and control the desktop of the remote machine inside a window on my desktop. I use my second monitor to display the second desktop of any of the remote computers that I am monitoring. This frees up my primary monitor for debugging code on the client side. This is AWESOME!!! No more cluttered desktop with three or four machines. No poor-quality video from switch boxes. Just a simple mouse-click and I can control any machine that I want on my second monitor, without sacrificing my own desktop space.
                  - Ronald Kegge
                  Silly me, never thought of using Netmeeting on the second monitor.
                  Now I don't have to get a switch box!

Comment

Working...
                  X