Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i switched back to Matrox!

hello,

i used to have a G400 some time ago, but it eventually became too slow for gaming. I've been through various Nvidia and ATI Cards (Geforce2 Pro now) since but i stopped gaming some months ago and thought: why dont you dump that GF2Pro while it's still worth some money. And i will! I'm coming back to superior 2D Quality

The question now is: Is there a noticeable difference in image quality between any of the Matrox Cards (400/450/550)? Oh and i also need TV-Out and DVI. Is the G400 capable of DVI?

Thanks.
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Welcome back

As far as difference in visual quality between the cards, this has been a subject of debate. Some think G550 does not look as good as G4x0, others think it looks the same or better. Personally, I think G550 is juat a tad sharper.

G400 can run a single DVI, if you add the DVI upgrade:

G550 is available in a dual-DVI model (which will also run dual CRTs)
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Yeah, U-turn back to home rulez!

Last spring I replaced my thrusty G400 with Radeon AIW. After a eight month regration period I said no more to driver problems - that piece of crap hw made by Ati was replaced by the mighty G400 MAX
      Celeron-T 1@1.4GHz, Asus P3B-F, 512MB PC-133, G400 MAX, Promise FastTrak66 Pro, Compaq Netelligent Dual Port NIC, Terratec SixPack 5.1+, Adaptec 29160N, Hauppauge WinTV Nicam FM, IBM Ultrastar 36LZX, 2xIBM 60GXP 40GB RAID 0, Pioneer DVD, Plextor CD, Plextor CD-RW, Zip100, HP DDS-3, Nokia 445Xpro. 8/1 ADSL internet access.

Comment

I see you were trying to get the best from both worlds hehe i hope you learend your lesson, that you can't
        Welcome back !!
        Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

thanks for the replies.

yes unfortunately it's either speed or quality. i wasn't really satisfied with anything between. i'm still undecided between the good ol' g400 MAX and the g550.

matrox should finally present the long awaited killer card with excellent speed and the great 2d we are used to. that would surely make many many people happy (even it would cost big $$$). i heard the 8500 is supposed to have great 2D too but only the original ATi and not the cheap OEM versions that are mostly sold.

Comment

another question: what 17" or 18" TFT can you recommend? i've read some reviews but i don't trust people who don't see the difference between some regular geforce MX and the g400

MURCers surely have better eyes

Comment

I haven't personally used any other TFT-displays than Nokia's 15" series, 530L was superior compared to it's predecessor 500XA.

If money is no subject, then Eizo or Sony can't be all wrong choices?

There is an article (a comparison of 13 LCD monitors) at Tom's hw, which might be helpful: http://www4.tomshardware.com/display...114/index.html
              Celeron-T 1@1.4GHz, Asus P3B-F, 512MB PC-133, G400 MAX, Promise FastTrak66 Pro, Compaq Netelligent Dual Port NIC, Terratec SixPack 5.1+, Adaptec 29160N, Hauppauge WinTV Nicam FM, IBM Ultrastar 36LZX, 2xIBM 60GXP 40GB RAID 0, Pioneer DVD, Plextor CD, Plextor CD-RW, Zip100, HP DDS-3, Nokia 445Xpro. 8/1 ADSL internet access.

Comment

A friend of mine has a really sharp 17´TFT at home (together with a G450). I will see him tonight, so i´am going to post you the modell tomorrow.
                But I think it was SHARP or so (yes, the model also - not only the display .

In any case this is urgent do it the good old way: go in the shop of you´re choice and look at the displays. Take the one you like most from the look of the picture. But only take the one you were looking at! Not one of the others in a package. These may vary in quality (that´s really the same between TFT and good old tubes)

That´s the most simple way and grants the most satisfaction

At least it did with me, my CTX19´Flat and my G400
                There is no weakness, but to cringe and despair because one thinks oneself weak.
                For so long as one´s will is undefeated one is strong, for so long as the desire for revenge still endures.
                -Tom Holland, Deliver us from Evil

Comment

Originally posted by thop
                  another question: what 17" or 18" TFT can you recommend? i've read some reviews but i don't trust people who don't see the difference between some regular geforce MX and the g400

MURCers surely have better eyes
                  I really love my Compaq TFT8030. especially when using the DVI input.
                  Asus P4T w/ P4 1700, 256mb RDRAM, 40.1gb IBM 7200RPM, SB Live, Pioneer 103R DVD-ROM, Yamaha 8424S CDRW, Matrox G400MAX w/DVI module, Compaq TFT8030 LCD

Comment

Check out the Samsung SyncMaster TFT displays. I got my 170T a year ago and I'm still nuts about how great it looks--especially combined with a Matrox card of course.
                    Abit KT7A w/ AMD Duron 800; 768mb Micron SDRAM; 30GB WD 7200rpm; SB PCI512; TEAC CD-W512EB; Matrox G400 16MB w/DVI; Samsung SyncMaster 170T; W2k Pro sp2

Comment

Originally posted by thop

matrox should finally present the long awaited killer card with excellent speed and the great 2d we are used to.

I wouldn't bet on that.
                      Last edited by Kruzin; 6 February 2002, 12:43.
                      Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Welcome back!

Comment

ok i got a vanilla g400 16mb SH for now. will most likely update to a g550 when i get that DVI. feels (and looks) good

Comment

i used to have et6k, because at the time i couldn´t get a matrox card instantly in my computer package including 166mmx@3x83. upgraded with voodoo1, then voodoo3 2k pci(because i didn´t have an agp-slot, this one stayed with me for long with my k6-2 and FIC-motherboard including 2Mb cache), one leadtek tnt2 was purchased for my celeron500(that has been upgraded to cel2 800), then it was time for duron600@6x165 and gf256sdr(the picture quality wasn´t good enough, looked like i was looking my games with hendrix-effects, hazy), radeon ViVo(picture was good, speed reasonable, but the drivers made me grazy, every game needed specific drivers), Gf2pro(reasonable good picture, until..), a riva128 to my second computer(i cant count further=), two numbers are needed zero and one), then i found g400 16 SH second hand and bought two of them, WOW i really liked the 2D picture, even thou it wasn´t fast, and started looking for a 400max or g450 with 32 DH, now my xp1600+ and gf2 has been silent for a long time because i mostly use my p3 450, because of the matrox 400max. watching movies is easy, picture is good, i can irc while gf is watching movies, only thing it could be do more is feed me and do my dishes(and i wouldn´t even need gf anymore).. so now that i am in the know of matrox, keep up the good work, keep the excellent drivers and features, speed up to gf3+ and i am buying your next card with ti4600 price.

PS i would be willing to beta test, i could a lot of configurations to test with, from ppro to amd xp and most between=)

Comment

Working...
                            X