Quick Harddrive question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Harddrive question

Can I plug an ATA100 drive into an ATA66 controller without any problems? And to be a little more general, are all drives backwards compatible with older controllers?

Thanks,

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

I've got 2 UDMA/100 drives running on an ATA/33 interface on a motherboard with a BIOS that can't detect any drive larger than 30GB (both are larger)

Comment

Cool, that pretty much answers my question then. I think I've hooked up an ATA66 drive to an ATA33 controller but I couldn't remember for sure.

Thanks!

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Ditto. Haven't had any troubles putting ATA-100 on ATA-66 channels.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

...although it might be worthwhile downloading the appropriate manufacturer's tool to set the drive UDMA mode to the correct setting.

Comment

Might not, too.

A lot of noise was made about lack o' backwards compatibility, but I have never ever had a problem. *shrug*

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm running a UDMA/100 drive on my CUBX's UDMA/66 controller just fine (and at UDMA/100 too, via the wonderfull world of hidden hardware capabilities! )

Comment

In case you weren't aware...

Jon, if you upgrade the BIOS on your CUBX, you'll find that the CMD controller now runs at UDMA/100.

Or is that what you've already done?
                Last edited by Patrick; 24 January 2002, 17:01.

Comment

Ultra 133s 127MB+

Ultra 133 drives should work as long as they are not above 127GB. Even if they are, they just work at 127GB.

Comment

Yep, got the latest BIOS for the board. Nice when a simple software upgrade makes something like that run faster. Not that the HD's really fast enough to run any different from UDMA/66 to UDMA/100...

Comment

Working...
                    X