No announcement yet.

Computer becomes so slow when printing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer becomes so slow when printing?

Hi everyone,
    I'm using Windows XP and I have Epson Stylus Color 440 (not USB) connected. Everytime the printer starts printing, my computer becomes so slow that some applications may pauses for a while (unplayable framerates in UT). There is no XP driver for this printer on Epson website so I have to use the driver that came with Windows XP.
    Anyone here have any suggestions? Anything would be appreciated.

SuRGV

Here is my system:
    ==========================
    P3 600@800
    ASUS P3B-F rev. 1006
    384 MB SDRAM
    SBlive! Soundcard
    ASUS 7700 Vid card.
    Belkin 10/100 NIC (only $10 CAD !!!!)
    30 GB Quantum Fireball AS HD
    6.4 Fujitsu HD
    ==========================
    MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
    AMD Athlon 64 3200
    1024 MB PC3200 RAM
    WD 160 GB HDD
    2 x 80 GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 1
    ATI 9500 64 Videocard
    Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
    Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM
    Windows XP Professional SP2

One of the reasons printers have become so cheap in the past couple of years is that they rely on the computer to do all the image processing and rastering.

I wouldn't even consider trying to play a video game while you're printing. Maybe if you had a more intelligent printer, like a LaserJet or something. You'd want a printer with on-board RAM and hopefully some kind of PostScript engine onboard.

You may try playing with the EPP/ECP settings in your BIOS, but a lot of printers can't even take advantage of that these days.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yup.
      What Wombat said.
      Printing sucks up system resources like there's no tomorrow.
      In my office, the LPT printer hooked to my PC is the main printer for everyone via LAN/network sharing. Anytime anyone in the office prints anything, I can count on my system slowing to a crawl.
      Even on our large format plotter (COM port), which has 16 meg of ram to cache plots, my PC is the server for that plotter, and any plot from any station means Lagsville, USA.
      If you are going to print/plot off a machine, that machine is good for a cigarette break
      I sure wouldn't try to game while printing, unless another PC was the host for that printer.....
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks both Wombat and Kruzin for uselful information.
        I would never try to play game while the printer is printing. My girl friend does that occasionally while I play some games (hers and mine are sharing Internet using LinkSys router so she can print from the printer connected to mine)
        Well looks like there is no solution for this? Though, I will try to play with EPP/ECP as Wombat said.
        SuRGV
        MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
        AMD Athlon 64 3200
        1024 MB PC3200 RAM
        WD 160 GB HDD
        ATI 9500 64 Videocard
        Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
        Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM

Comment

One solution, since you're already networked, is to get a 486 or something to be your printserver.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

One solution, since you're already networked, is to get a 486 or something to be your printserver.
            I would rather just get a more serious printer.. less hassle. Give that stylus 440 to your little brother or something.

I will NEVER again buy a printer with no memory on board. You're right, it's a waste of time waiting for the damned things. I learned the hard way.. but with my 895Cse I can just push print and go on to the next chore.. the document's already in the printer's memory. As long as what you're printing isn't a super hi res photo or something, 2MB should be plenty of printer memory.
            Last edited by KvHagedorn; 22 January 2002, 20:11.

Comment

Well, I have tried all of 3 options for EPP/ECP (ECP+EPP, ECP only, EPP only) but neither one hepls solve this problem with my printer.
              Now I'm tempted to buy a new laser printer. Since I don't have a big budget for this, I'm considering one of the following:
              -Lexmark E210 $299 CAD after $30 CAD rebate
              -HP LaserJet1000 $399 CAD
              -Samsung ML 1210 1210 $299 CAD after $50 CAD rebate

Which one do you guys think gives me the best value for its money? Will I have the resource sucking problem again? It's time for me to start garthering some money...

SuRGV
              MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
              AMD Athlon 64 3200
              1024 MB PC3200 RAM
              WD 160 GB HDD
              ATI 9500 64 Videocard
              Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
              Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM

Comment

We are researching a new large format printer for the wifes crafting (scrapbooking, cross stitch etc.).

In the process we can across the HP cp1700, a 13"x19" unit that has a built in CPU and RAM, which means it can use one of those small printserver boxes like the SOHOware Plug-n-Print or the HP 170 box.

It also has print heads with their own mini-tanks that reload from much larger main tanks. Each color has its own set. 2400x1200 resolution. 16 ppm in black and 14 ppm in color.

$422 is the best online price we've seen. CompUSA is selling it at $499.

For about $130 more you can add a "duplex" module that lets it print both sides automatically.

BIG sonofabitch though.

Anyone had any experience with this monster?

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 January 2002, 21:01.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

<em>Now I'm tempted to buy a new laser printer.</em>

Why new? Refurbished is often just as good.
                  I'd recommend a <a href="http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=laserjet+4">LaserJet 4</a> or <a href="http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=laserjet+4M">4M</a> -- they're built like tanks.

Should be about $150-$200 and comes with plenty of memory.

Comment

KvH, I'd rather just get another printer as well. But sometimes people actually just have a 486 laying around, or can spend $20 and get one. Another printer is a nice, but more expensive option.

Oh, and stay away from Lexmark. They're crap.

Comment

Wombat,
                      I don't get the idea of using a 486 as a print server. Doesn't a print server mean another PC?
                      I have a Pentium2 300 unused now (only the processor).
                      SuRGV
                      MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
                      AMD Athlon 64 3200
                      1024 MB PC3200 RAM
                      WD 160 GB HDD
                      ATI 9500 64 Videocard
                      Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
                      Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM

Comment

Yes, he's talking about using another PC (which would otherwise be nothing more than a doorstop) if you had one lying around. You would hook the printer to that PC, transfer the file to be printed, and let the unused PC take over the chore of babysitting the printer. Basically you are using the old PC as your buffer.

Comment

Wombat and KvHagedorn,
                          So what you're saying is I have to buy some components to build a cheap PC (since I only have the processor now) ? Is it just better to buy a new printer?

orangejulius,
                          I've never tried online bidding. However, I will consider your suggestion. Thanks.

SuRGV
                          MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
                          AMD Athlon 64 3200
                          1024 MB PC3200 RAM
                          WD 160 GB HDD
                          ATI 9500 64 Videocard
                          Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
                          Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM

Comment

Yeah, maybe it would be worth it to buy another printer, if you'd have to build a computer anyway.

Besides, then you could put the Epson on your g/f's computer.

Comment

So what you're saying is I have to buy some components to build a cheap PC (since I only have the processor now) ? Is it just better to buy a new printer?
                              Wombat suggested that as a solution if in fact you had ready access to an older PC. Since you don't, yes I would buy a new printer.

This is the one I have.. cost me $299 new. Looks like someone had a few extras lying around somewhere..

Comment

Working...
                              X