Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Matrox,

Dear Matrox,

As an avid Matrox fan, I have been waiting in anticipation for the unveiling of your next video card. Originally I planned to purchase an ATI Radeon 8500, but upon further research, realized that the card was not for me. There are too many unresolved driver issues, especially involving both the DVD playback and the dual-monitor (aka hydrovision) setup. Apparently it is not possible to playback a DVD on the second display. (I would say this is a very serious driver issue!)

The reasons for this comment are as follows - there are certain features I would like to see implemented on your graphics card. Features, which I am sure your marketing department is aware of - but nonetheless, I felt the need to voice my opinion:

I am not a hard-core game player, so I don't need a card that competes with the next GeForce 4, but rather, would prefer a high-quality display at ultra-high resolutions. Moreover, good 3D performance is still a must, and I would not sacrifice this for anything. This has been the main reason I have not upgraded to your G450/G550 solution. You need to be in at least the top 10 for fps!

I would also like to see a built-in HDTV decoder [The Radeon 8500 offers this as a feature (but I am sure it doesn't work because of there crummy drivers!)], with component video outputs - that way, when I finally save enough cash to get my HDTV display, I can hook up my computer.

DUAL-DVI for dual-head operations. I would also like to see a "fourth-generation dual-head" which has support for dual-overlays. So for example, if I had two TV-Tuners, I should be able to watch one TV on each screen.

MUCH Better DVD playback, with support for progressive-scan DVD playback through the TV-out, and component output. DVD playback should be comparable to ATI's cards, which at the moment it is NOT! There should also be an S-PDIF output, which goes directly to the sound card.

64M/128M ram, too handle large textures.

A real T&L engine + anistrophic filtering.

----------

Since this forum has experienced a SIGNIFIGANT drop in posts, I could conclude either one of two things!

Everyone has bought a Radeon 8500 and is checking out rage3d.com, or Matrox has beta-released a new board and all the "insiders" are really busy. Am I wrong?

-X-
    Last edited by X-Caliber; 21 January 2002, 23:35.
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

You know, if you really want the Matrox fairy to hear your wishlist, you have to leave out milk and cookies for Santa Haig. Or at least a good bottle of scotch.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I guess the scotch wouldn´t be a problem, but where to send?...
      There is no weakness, but to cringe and despair because one thinks oneself weak.
      For so long as one´s will is undefeated one is strong, for so long as the desire for revenge still endures.
      -Tom Holland, Deliver us from Evil

Comment

Well, since this thread started off wrong in the first place, I may as well chime in and junk it some more ...

Schattenreiter ... I really like your sig. Which Jorden is that quote attributed to?

And stop talking about my favorite drink, Scotch. Its only 10 in the morning here and I really shouldn't break into the liquor cabinet quite yet.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

xortam:

what do you mean by "Well, since this thread started off wrong in the first place"
          ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

Comment

X-Caliber ... first off, you need to post in the Matrox forums or E-Mail Matrox if you want to directly address your concerns to Matrox ... MURC is a user forum, independent from Matrox. Secondly, this forum is provided to discuss issues with actual Matrox hardware. You should use "The Crystal Ball" forum to post speculations and wishes.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Xortam : Jordan was a guy I once met in a chat. He had a fine sense for life and humour. It´s a direct quote from him.
              Some way to help someone to get renown, huh?

I am more into Jameson. It´s 20:00 in the evening in my place and I could really enjoy one right now.
              Why can´t you break into the liquor cabinet? Is your wife near?

Just kidding.

Maybe we should try to bribe Haig with a few bottles of good scotch! Maybe he tells us more about the new card!?!

Anyone in for it?
              There is no weakness, but to cringe and despair because one thinks oneself weak.
              For so long as one´s will is undefeated one is strong, for so long as the desire for revenge still endures.

Comment

Originally posted by Schattenreiter
                ... Jordan was a guy I once met in a chat. He had a fine sense for life and humour. It´s a direct quote from him.
                Some way to help someone to get renown, huh?
                It was good enough that I had to rush it off to my humour mailing list. My wife chuckled too.

I am more into Jameson. It´s 20:00 in the evening in my place and I could really enjoy one right now.
                Why can´t you break into the liquor cabinet? Is your wife near?
                She was but she headed into work now. AFA Jameson ... reminds me of when my brother visited Ireland and asked the sales clerk for some advice on purchasing some good Irish whiskey to bring back home for me. The clerk responded "If you want some good whiskey, bring him some Scotch".

... Maybe we should try to bribe Haig with a few bottles of good scotch! Maybe he tells us more about the new card!?! ...
                A few bottles of good Scotch is going to cost us more than the new Matrox card ... could get his some Jameson though.

Comment

Jorden's quote is ripped from the "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey" portion of Saturday Night Live.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Re: Dear Matrox,

Originally posted by X-Caliber
                    Dear Matrox,

As an avid Matrox fan, I have been waiting in anticipation for the unveiling of your next video card. Originally I planned to purchase an ATI Radeon 8500, but upon further research, realized that the card was not for me. There are too many unresolved driver issues, especially involving both the DVD playback and the dual-monitor (aka hydrovision) setup. Apparently it is not possible to playback a DVD on the second display. (I would say this is a very serious driver issue!)
                    Dunno about that. dual monitor works as good as it did on my G400MAX and i can watch DVD's on the second monitor without a problem. the ATI DVD player even allows itself to be fullscreened on the second monitor and stays there even if you switch windows. never seen one that would do that on the Matrox side of things. The only feature i really miss from my G400MAX is DVDMax, which i plan on taking advantage of with a box specifically for watching videos.

I would also like to see a built-in HDTV decoder [The Radeon 8500 offers this as a feature (but I am sure it doesn't work because of there crummy drivers!)], with component video outputs - that way, when I finally save enough cash to get my HDTV display, I can hook up my computer.

never heard of the 8500 Supporting this. especially because it doesn't have TV Input on it. maybe the all in wonder one... you can always get an external card to do that... not hard...

DUAL-DVI for dual-head operations. I would also like to see a "fourth-generation dual-head" which has support for dual-overlays. So for example, if I had two TV-Tuners, I should be able to watch one TV on each screen.

MUCH Better DVD playback, with support for progressive-scan DVD playback through the TV-out, and component output. DVD playback should be comparable to ATI's cards, which at the moment it is NOT! There should also be an S-PDIF output, which goes directly to the sound card.

64M/128M ram, too handle large textures.

A real T&L engine + anistrophic filtering.

I personally would love to see a matrox card like this. Like i said, the one feature i really miss is the DVDMax which i only used for connecting my computer to the tv and watching dvd's with. i have not seen a tv output method that can match it for DVD playback. Honestly i could care less if the card does true hardware DVD Decoding, but the loss in quality and inefficency due to the fact that the computer is deinterlacing a video then sending it to the tv as an interlaced stream kinda annoys me... perhaps another route around it... like not deinterlacing the video stream and doing a native output of it to the tv... dunno.. would require custom software but damn i would love it.

The video overlay stuff is critical. i wish there was a single card that could do video overlays on both monitors at the same time. that would be very nice.

honestly i have not seen any improvement in dvd playback quality on the Radeon 8500 under XP. And the only real problem i have seen with it is the 3d support is kinda funky right now... tho their drivers have shown major improvements over the last couple months... one can only hope...
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                      Jorden's quote is ripped from the "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey" portion of Saturday Night Live.
                      Yup... Jordan is a plagiarist.

another of my Handy favorites is...

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

and...

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Jack Handy is a genius.

but I'm just say'in...

Ô¿Ô

Comment

Originally posted by Apostle

another of my Handy favorites is...

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

and...

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Jack Handy is a genius.
                        The resident 'I-think-Im-Funny' guy at a chat room I used to frequent would come out with this stuff like it was his own.
                        When he was a bit down one day I asked "Whats up with you? Someone tell you one of your own jokes?"
                        I didn't know at the time he suffered from a bi-polar disorder, and he left the chatroom in tears (so one of his IRL mates told me later)
                        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Curses!

Fooled again!

Looks like I have to correct my sig!

Comment

Working...
                          X