Seamless realtime playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seamless realtime playback

THE BIG QUESTION is down further below...

While my PC is chugging away on a series of AVIs being filtered by VirtualDub, I'm now wondering (again) what the best way is to play back a series of AVIs
    - without pauses between them
    - in realtime with no stuttering

I did some experiments yesterday to see what options/configurations gave the least stutter during playback from MSP. The results:
    1) setting memory/disk cache too high makes things worse; I kept about 1/3 of the max
    2) putting the AVIs on C: and the temp directory on D: (a faster drive) was no better than having everything on d: in spite of the seeking/reading being done between AVIs and temp files (cutlist previewing)
    3) changing the compression parameters has little effect on reducing stutter during preview
    4) the *only* thing that (virtually) eliminated stuttering for me was reducing the frame rate to 10 frames/sec from 25 (PAL).

Question: this frame rate thing confuses me. When I set it down to 2 f/s and played back,
    it was still not showing me that rate on the TV...I could just barely make out more flickering. Why is this? Something must be happening, since changing the rate has an effect on the smoothness of playback.

THE BIG QUESTION: is there any better way to transfer a series of AVIs to video than using previewing in MSP? I mean, I noticed that Windows' own Media Player was playing back my AVIs without stuttering, but alas it can't string together several AVIs - so why the heck should MSP stutter - not to mention require so much time to save preview files when all that I'm doing is playing back unaltered AVIs?? I thought temp files used during previewing only stored the extra info based on the transitions, FX, etc done in MSP itself - no? When I loaded up a 10-second AVI for example, and hit the preview button, it took about 15 seconds to save the temp files first! Does this mean it's going to save for 3 hours first when all I want to do is play back a movie?
    What am I missing? Should I 'create a video' in MSP first? I don't think so - I've got 6 AVIs that I simply want to play back smoothly and unaltered; creating a video is essentially copying the AVIs plus FX etc. to one set of files, right? What's the simplest way to just play them back to VHS unaltered?

Thanks!!
    Adrian

On your performance issue, have you read my Idiots Guides and FAQ's ? There's lots of info there.

On multiple playback, try AV_IO - you can find the URL on the "links" page of the site. Just in case you got to the forum without hitting the main site, you can find it at www.desktopvideoworld.com

Chris

Comment

Working...
    X