X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is the HLT command disabled in socket A MB BIOS

According to this http://www.xbitlabs.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002175.html
    and a leaked VIA data sheet.
    AMD have asked AWARD and AMI to disable the dectection of the HLT command in all socket A BIOS'es.

Does anyone know why ?

The reason I ask is because I can enable it with WPCREdit on my KT266A Motherboard, and the CPU temp drops with almost 10 deg. C in idle mode, but the system becomes unstable after a period of time.
    Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
    incentivize transparent paradigms

You've just answered your own question. The system can get unstable with some hardware combinations.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

though not being able to use the HLT command is quite serious, as it's used by most major OSes (linux, Win2k, XP by default) and, especially in case of notebooks, lead to reduced battery consumption equals longer time of operation.

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
        You've just answered your own question. The system can get unstable with some hardware combinations.
        Yes ... I answered my own question, but maybe there was a more technical explanation.

Why does it become unstable ?
        Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
        incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

That's a really complicated question. You're talking about introducing a delta function through a good portion of the CPU. Lots of fun with noise.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
          X