Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any experience with this SCSI equip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any experience with this SCSI equip?

Howdy all. My boss decided to ditch his old SCSI setup because he was too lazy to reset it up when he built his new computer. What I have is an Adaptec 2940W/UW SCSI card, an IBM 9.1 gig 7200 RPM UW drive - model DDRS-39130, IBM 2.1 gig W drive - model DORS-32160, Seagate Barracuda UW drive that I know nothing about - model ST32550W, some no name brand cd-rw and a no name cd-rom.

Anyone had any experience with any of this stuff? I know it's kind of old but free is free so if any of it is worth using let me know. I have an IDE raid setup now and I was thinking of just throwing the OS on the 9 gig IBM drive, thoughts?

I have this IBM DDRS here (it came over from my old Amiga). It's very stable although not that fast nowadays ('bout 13MB/s), still got quite low seek times, so it's not that bad as boot drive. For data-storage it's also fine (I have my mp3's and my Win98 partition on it).

I also use the Seagate Barracuda32550 in my Amiga and it has quite the same speed as the IBM DDRS: low transfer but good avg. seek-times. But this drive is noisy as hell. At startup it makes you think you're on an airport....
    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
    My System
    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
    German ATI-forum

Comment

Yep ... I've got three of the DDRS-39130s, two of which are currently in a SW RAID 0. Mine are hooked up to the on-board SCSI on my P2B-S, which is equivalent to the Adapte 2940U2W. I could always use another drive if you want to give it away ... I'll even pay for the shipping.

P.S. Note that my drives are U2W, are you sure you have the UW version? I'd only be interested in the U2Ws.
      Last edited by xortam; 21 January 2002, 12:50.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I have one of those bad boys in U2W LVD. Been tryin' to get rid of it for quite some time now, nobody seems to want to buy it.

That and the Zip250 External are the only pieces of SCSI kit I have left.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Well Gurm ... how much to send it out to Silicon Valley?

I see a big RAID array starting to form here ...

P.S. Looks like you have the DNES-309170 (18ES) 9.1 GB according to your post in the Happy Shopper. Is that right? I have the DDRS-309130 (9ES) 9.1 GB drives.
          Last edited by xortam; 23 January 2002, 09:53.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I have a few of the Adaptec 2940U/UW, probably quite similar.

The only problem is the long Scsi bus scan time, and it cuts off the bottom of some letters in standard VGA mode durring boot up if you are using a Matrox card. IE, the bottom of y,j,q etc.

Ali

Comment

Originally posted by Ali
              The only problem is the long Scsi bus scan time...
              With Adaptec controllers you can tell it which SCSI ID's to scan, so if you only select the ones which have devices attached it passes through a lot quicker
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

> Seagate Barracuda UW drive that I know nothing about - model ST32550W

Go to www.seagate.com

There is a search option on the far right side.
                Type ST32550UW and voila, you should get what you seek

Have fun.
                There is no weakness, but to cringe and despair because one thinks oneself weak.
                For so long as oneĀ“s will is undefeated one is strong, for so long as the desire for revenge still endures.
                -Tom Holland, Deliver us from Evil

Comment

Working...
                X