X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important update for EU citizens and maybe others

EU Directive 456179

In order to meet the conditions for joining the Single European
    currency, all citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland must be made aware that the phrase "Spending a penny" is not to be used after 31st December 2001.

From this date, the correct terminology will be: "Euronating".

Thank you for your attention.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

LOL!
    Great gag!
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

HEHE had to read this twice before I got it!
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Feh.

The Euro is the dumbest idea since... *ahem* the Metric System.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

LOL

Originally posted by Gurm
          Feh.

- Gurm
          Why do you say that ?

Personally I really don't care because we are moving towards a moneyless society, so it really doesn't matter to me wheter I pay in Euro, Dollars or whatever when paying with my VISA card on the WWW.

Edit : The Germans have recently taken the first step with their ID card scheme.
          Last edited by Kosh Naranek; 24 January 2002, 12:30.
          Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
          incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Well done Pace
            AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Someone takin the piss???
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I don't think that the metric system was a stupid idea. About the Euro... something that seems to be seen yet. It's something that the US did long, long ago (if you can compare it), and it might reduce 'overhead' within the EU a lot... that is if some countries with ****ed up monetary policies won't destabilize the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
                  it might reduce 'overhead' within the EU a lot... that is if some countries with ****ed up monetary policies won't destabilize the thing.
                  Which is almost guaranteed to happen given how screwed up the EU's Parliament, policy making and governence is turning out to be. Who writes for these guys...Benny Hill??

I give it no more than 4-6 years before the EU disintegrates into a bunch or argumentative tribalists again

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

i got this from a fellow MURCer. Not sure if it has been posted yet...

The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Got the same email, cracked me up

Dan
                      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid

Which is almost guaranteed to happen given how screwed up the EU's Parliament, policy making and governence is turning out to be. Who writes for these guys...Benny Hill??

I give it no more than 4-6 years before the EU disintegrates into a bunch or argumentative tribalists again

Dr. Mordrid
                        I think some things need to be clarified here:

The monetary policy in the EU is not made by the European parliament, and it is not made by the EU commission. It is made by the European Central Bank (located here in Frankfurt/Germany) which is largely independent in is actions. It works pretty much like the old German national bank which did a good job for more than 50 years.

I give it no more than 4-6 years before Denmark and Sweden introduce the Euro as well (and it will be interesting to see what Great Britain does when it is the last remaining EU country without the Euro...)

Georg

PS: And, by the way, the metric system is much easier (and therefore better) than the inch/feet/yard/miles/gallons chaos in certain countries

Comment

EU.....

Well, well Paddy [MU] look at Norway on yur picture, they have removed Norway from the european map!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                            Feh.

- Gurm

"My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and thats the way I likes it!"

- Abe Simpson.

Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

*sigh* It's not that the metric system was a bad idea in and of itself, but the way it was forcefully introduced to various countries (as they attempted to do here in the US) was poorly planned.

I can work out how tall I am in meters. It's not hard, really. Inches * 2.54 / 100, but... the point and fact is that MOST Americans, and I'd wager many Brits as well, know how tall they are in feet and inches... and it would take a concerted effort of government to re-educate its people.

Add to this the fact that the metric system as it stands is incomplete (if they were willing to make a metric DAY I'd be a happy camper), and...

Oh why am I even bothering?

You'll note that the PINT is still in official use. *shrug*

- Gurm
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X