Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 3 on Linux outperforms Windows XP

Taken from - http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23735.html

One Intel D850MVSE mobo with Northwood P4; 512M PC800 RDRAM; two Maxtor D740X 20G ATA-133 drives on the mobo's onboard ATA-100 controller, one booting Win-XP Pro on FAT and one booting SuSE 7.3 Pro on ReiserFS and both installed clean and subsequently patched; and a 64M DDR GeForce AGP4.

The Windows drive is patched with whatever the MS auto-update cloak-and-dagger process does to it. The Linux drive is patched to kernel 2.4.17. The video and OpenGL drivers for both OS's were upgraded with the most recent files from Nvidia's Web site.

On the Windows drive I installed all the Intel chipset drivers and the Application Accelerator. The Linux kernel is reasonably optimized for the HDD and the P4, but with APIC disabled, as it just won't run on the 850 mobo otherwise.

Mode: 1024x786
    Color depth: 16-bit
    Lighting: lightmap
    Geometric detail: high
    Texture Detail: maximum
    Texture quality: 16-bit
    Filter: trilinear

Win-XP returned an average of 72.7 FPS, which is worse than I'd expect from a P3 800 on '98 with about 128M RAM, or a 486DX 100 on Win 3.1 with about 16M RAM. (You see the pattern here....)

Linux returned an average of 80.2 FPS, which is significantly better, though hardly brilliant. But let's keep in mind that the system I'm using here is virtually Linux-hostile. The next one won't be.

With even less detail, further reducing dependency on the graphics card, we got better numbers from the CPU. The breakdown was similar, though Windows narrowed the gap a bit.

Mode: 640x480
    Color depth: 16-bit
    Lighting: vertex
    Geometric detail: low
    Texture Detail: minimum
    Texture quality: 16-bit
    Filter: bilinear

This gave us averages of 272.2 FPS on Windows and 304.7 on Linux.
    The author does seem rather anti-Microsoft, and The Register isnt noted as a hardware/software testing website, but still some interesting results.

But I expect someone will say he was smoking crack when doing the tests...
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

does this mean linux is a faster gaming-platform, or does it mean that nvidia canĀ“t write winXP-drivers?
    This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Or does it mean that he has the wrong drivers installed, can't work them, or is just an all-round imbecile?

You know how much respect (none) I have for the Register (crack-smoking idiots).

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
        Or does it mean that he has the wrong drivers installed, can't work them, or is just an all-round imbecile?

You know how much respect (none) I have for the Register (crack-smoking idiots).

- Gurm
        I must admit I got a good laugh out of reading that story too.

I mean
        • does he choose operating system based on how Q3 performs ?
        • What hardware was it tested on ?
        • Why did he only test Q3 and nothing else ?
        • Can't Linux handle E-mail ?
        • What drivers did he use ?
        • Was he playing MOHAA while playing Q3 on the XP box ?
        • Can't Linux handle E-mail ( I know already mentioned once )
        • etc.
        Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
        incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Do you think NTFS would affect XP performance in Q3?

Sometimes I run Q3 with Photoshop/Dreamweaver in the background, here are my results:

Windows 98/2000/XP - 50-55fps (at my resolution)
          Linux - 0fps (Photoshop/Dreamweaver...hehe )

P.
          Meet Jasmine.
          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

*nix operates at a lower level to the hardware and the code is more optimized due to less device compatibility. *nix has pretty much always outperformed Windows in gaming at the lower resolutions. Now finally Nvidia is optimizing their drivers at higher resolutions. You won't see *nix exceed Windows at higher resolutions but at lower it will always be faster. Always.

I'm sure the minimum framerate at higher resolutions if compared between the 2 OS's *nix would be faster too.
            C:\DOS
            C:\DOS\RUN
            \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Another point though, is who cares about this result?

I use Win2k at the moment, for plenty of reasons, fps in Q3 is not one of them. Neither is webserving performance. Generally, speed differences don't mean that much to me, unless it's 300%. So, I'm happy being a Windows user and gamer, until I can do what I want to do in Linux, as easy as I can in Windows (and that's not just setting up, but actually using the system, and creating end-results).

P.

PS: My 2002nd post. 3 weeks too late to be of major significance. Incidentally, my website counter hit 20,002 on the 1st. On with the show...
              Last edited by Pace; 21 January 2002, 12:47.
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

If someone really want to prove that linux is good for games, then benchmark with a wider range of games AND a wider range of graphic-cards.

Is it just me, or do most people equals gaming performance, with quake3 performance?
                Last edited by TdB; 21 January 2002, 14:37.
                This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Out of pure curiosity, does anyone know what other 3d graphics intensive games are there that run on the linux platform?
                  P=I^2*R
                  Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

Here ya go:

Then there are all the others that you can get to work with Wine.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thank you, Wombat.
                      P=I^2*R
                      Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

No problem. I also forgot to mention RtCW. Multiplayer and singleplayer are now out.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                        X