Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

graphic puzzle : who knows ? (189 KB image inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• graphic puzzle : who knows ? (189 KB image inside)

Below are 2 illustrations that consist of 3 pieces, not in the same place (see the black lines, the top 2 pieces have swapped places). In the top figure, there are 15 dwarfs, in the lower 14. Where did that one dwarf go ?

Jörg
    (We here have some idea, but I'd like to hear your thoughts !)
    (edited for incorrect link)
    Last edited by VJ; 21 January 2002, 08:46.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Yes, I know that one about the triangles (and also the fact that it has been posted here), but this does seem to differ somewhat... The solution could be a variation of the other one, but it is a lot harder - in my opinion - to find (and to prove !).

Jörg

(Oh no, don't tell me I am a .... double poster ???? )
      Last edited by VJ; 21 January 2002, 07:40.
      pixar

Comment

Sorry.
        I can't see the picture you posted.
        I guessed from your description that it was the same problem.
        never mind
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

There seems to be a problem with the webserver, here is the image :
          Attached Files
          pixar

Comment

The last dwarf hasn't gone ANYWHERE.

If you look at the top image, the dwarf immediately to the right of the line (who added the lines, btw?) doesn't have a head.

"But he does!" I hear you saying.

No, no he doesn't. Not unless the fat dwarf above him has no feet.

There are a total of 14 dwarf tops and 14 dwarf bottoms in each picture. They just made you think that there were 15 tops in the upper image.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

The "fat" dwarf above him seems to be kneeling down, I really do see a mouth (with a smile), nose, eyes and pointy ears (all in the lower part). The black thing above his head could either be a hat or the shoe of the "fat" dwarf...

Jörg

PS: I'll scan it in a higher resolution
              pixar

Comment

higher resolution :
                Attached Files
                pixar

Comment

Top right set of '3' dwarfs, the middle one is just a head with feet, no hands.

b
                  Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

It's an optical illusion. The two dwarfs (sic) in question have feet that double as heads of other dwarfs (gad). Move them around and they still have feet... follow?

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Wow.. this is brilliant.. they somehow took bits of bodies away from the top dwarves which add up to the extra dwarf. I tried counting eyes, feet, noses, ears, etc., and in the top group there is always one dwarf without said feature.

Comment

There's a fine line between "brilliant" and "clever but poorly illustrated".

I like the triangles better.

- Gurm

Comment

I tend to agree with KvHagedorn, I also think that a small portion of every dwarf is left out due to the reallignment. All these small portions then sum up to a single dwarf...

I will measure each of the dwarfs, if "our theory" is correct, the sum of all lengths should be equal...

Gurm:
                          Well, I got this image from a simple magazine, and had to use an old scanner to scan it in... The triangles are far more easy to prove and comprehend...

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

We could just go through all the parts. eg:
                            chuck
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                            X