Super Cheap NIC's, worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Cheap NIC's, worth it?

Ok, I've found myself a 10/100 NIC for £5, plus about £5 postage on an order (unless I spend over 100 quid). I presume that this will be running off a realtek chipset, and I doubt it'll be bus mastering or any of that high quality PCI jazz.

The question is, is it worth paying twice that for a Netgear card with busmastering etc etc? It's only for a home network and pretty much anythgin has to be faster than the 10Mbit we have now.

So, should I pay for quality? or kit out all the machines in the network with 100 Mbit cards for about 20 quid?

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

dont buy netgear as ive had several and they all broke within 18 months of unpacking. try to see if you can get some us robotics ones as ive seen some of these fairly cheap from places like dabs. but for 5 quid you cant really go wrong even if they do break youve only got the hassle of replacing them(fairly minimal).
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Yep, that's what I was thinking.

It'll be a bonus if the cards are supported in Linux, then I can kit the server out with one as well.

Uberlad

Comment

I just got one for £8, works on XP straight away, although it does download a driver update. 100mbps no probs
        FT.

Comment

Linux-support can often be a problem, even with expensive cards. The 3c900b Combo is not supported, while the 3c900 Combo is . I have both cards, visually there is virtually no difference, yet the standard Linux drivers only supports the latter. The 3com drivers don't work on higher kernelversions, so I can't get the 3c900b card to work under Linux.
          (And this is not easy to find out: when booting, the card does return its MAC-address when requested by the driver, yet refuses to run any network ).

Cheap cards often support the NE2000 driver as standard, so sometimes cheaper cards tend to give less problems...

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

yeah, the server is running Smoothwall, and is just a touch more picky about what net cards it likes. I doubt i'll have any problem with the most basic realtek chipset, which is what I presume is on these cards.

They are EBuyer own brand cards btw if anyone realises they can't live without one - www.ebuyer.com

Uberlad

Comment

Cheapies are the way to go until you can get a good one at a good price... (Like all my 3Com cards I got free from people doing business upgrades to systems that had onboard LAN)
              AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
              AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
              Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
              Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Problem with Netgear is their build quality. SUPER dodgy.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

One reason 3com has iffy Linux support is that they will often make minor changes in their silicon without telling anybody, not even a revision number change. The changes in chip operation break the Linux drivers, but 3com doesn't bother to tell anybody that the change is out there.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

And then the only way to GET the drivers is to call up some guy at MIT who never ever answers his e-mail... and hope that he figured it out this time.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                    X