W2K unknown PCI device - Marvel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2K unknown PCI device - Marvel?

I have finished setting up a W2K system, patched all tweaks (except service packs - I was told to do that last since any changes to the system would mean you'd have to reinstall the service pack again)

System data:
    Asus TUSL2-C mainboard with 512 MB
    1st IDE - master Sys drive WD300AB
    2nd IDE - master Pioneer DVD-R drive

Matrox G400 Marvel in AGP
    PCI1-6:
    -Tekram 315 SCSI-III controller (running external case with Toshiba DVDrom, Plextor CDrom and Plextor CDRW)
    -Dazzle DVCII MPEG2 card
    -D-Link DFE-530TX Ethernet card
    -Promise TX2 Ultra100 IDE controller with video HD attached - WD600AB
    -Symbios Logic SCSI-II controller, currently no devices attached (will be used to attach a scanner)
    -Terratec EWX24/96 audiocard

All drivers have been installed, and all seems to work properly except the D-Link card which reports a problem. Can't fix it - latest drivers I could find are on W2K CDrom. May have something to do with the fact it's not hooked to the net yet.

Also not working properly are the Matrox G400 VT - version is 204 (display drivers 5.39). Tuner is showing pictures but no audio. Heard of troubles with VT on W2K, and since I don't need this I don't really care.

What bothers me is that every time I start up W2K reports an unknown PCI device, and wants me to install it. It does not ever tell me what the device is, what class, what manufacturer... nada. There's no onboard lan or audio on my mainboard, all other cards have been accounted for.

So what the h*ll is this? I also heard that MJPEG does not work on W2k. Is this perhaps the Zoran chipset that is causing this? W2K says this device is PCI bus 0, device 31, function 3. All other cards are reported as "PCI _slot_ x", and the numbers are consistent with the cards' locations.

Any tips on this much appreciated

Neko

Unknown PCI device

Hi there!
    I guess you have checked your audiocables and made sure they are connected right. Audio out from Marvel goes into audio in on your soundcard, and Audio in on the Marvel goes to audio out on your soundcard.

As for that unknown PCI device I had the same "problem". I've got the same MB as you and you should install the inf-file from Intel. That did the trick on my computer.

PS! That inf-file should be the first thing you install after you've installed the OS

Comment

Hi Neko,

How old is your motherboard? I do not recognize the TUSL. Do you mean CUSL? Do you have an up-to-date BIOS that supports W2K? If not this could be the cause of your problem.

Rick
      http://www.Hogans-Systems.com

Comment

New board

Hi, and thanks for replying. The TUSL boards are the follow-up version of the CUSL. They have a new i815 version, capable of handling Tualatin processors. I'm running a Celly 1,2 Gigglehurtz.

BIOS is latest non-beta. Board's not the problem.

Can anyone confirm a few G400 Marvel on W2K problems for me, just to check that the Marvel is or is not the cause?

- TV tuner - pic but no audio
        - no MJPEG -> do you also see an unknown PCI device in your device manager?

thx!

*edit* woops, I only got a MURC forum email for the latest reply and that made me miss your reply Crypto. Inf file? You mean for the i815? *smacks self* Never thought of that. I'm so used to BX boards, where the chipset drivers are part of the Windows install, I didn't even consider it. VIA, yes, but never for Intel I'll give that a try! As for audio cables, yup, those are OK... I didn't pay much attention to the TV tuner anyway cause I heard it has troubles under W2K. Don't need it anyway, but just thought it may give a clue about the PCI device problem. Now, getting AVI-IO or Vdub to work on this rig (under W98 the DVCII would constantly get in the way) is more important

Neko
        Last edited by KuroNeko; 20 January 2002, 16:22.

Comment

Actually the tuner should work just fine in Win2k. The VT for it allows the tuner (with audio), but not capture with MJPEG. There are some hacks to enable MJPEG and they work fairly well, but in the long run WIN98 is still a better option for capture and editing with the Marvel.

If the Hardware manager shows that the Display adapter is installed correctly then it is probably another device, probably a MB device that Win2k neds updated drivers for since your MB is newer than WIn2k. It may be in SP2, if you haven't installed it already.
          WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

thx!

Thanks all for your help. The i815 drivers fixed the issue. Also installed SP2 (now my Dlink network card is in trouble, oboy, this looks like another sleepless night

Neko

Comment

Working...
            X