WinXPpro optimization/tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXPpro optimization/tips

I know I'm a bit late to switch to WinXP, but I'm in computer heaven. Just installed XPpro on a new P4 Norhwood, now have broadband, etc. I'm loving it (once I got rid of the yucky default interface....Microsoft was very wise to include a "classic" option). I've used NT and 2000 at work for a long time, but this is my first use of an NT-type system as my main gaming rig. I recall seeing around here tidbits on XP tweaking, but can't seem to find them by searching the forums.

Specifically, I recall seeing something about the default ethernet card settings not being best for performance?

Also, I suspect there are quite a few services running that I don't need, but I'm not sure what is absolutely necessary.

I've used some of the tweaks from TweakXP, but I'm not sure how reliable that site is.

Does TweakUI 1.33 work with XP? Any problems?

Any other tweaks you've found? I'm using this system primarily as a gaming rig with cable-modem access.

Thanks,

John

<em>Specifically, I recall seeing something about the default ethernet card settings
    not being best for performance?</em>

You're probably talking about the <a href="http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uMCniRIbBHA.1452%40tkmsftngp04">QoS settings</a>.
    Make the change if you want, but it will have a <a href="http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=4ecb01c193de%24cc314b90%2419ef2ecf%40t kmsftngxa01">net impact of zero</a>
    unless you have an extremely high speed internet connection.

<em>suspect there are quite a few services running that I don't need</em>

You're right. Up to you what you want to turn off and on.
    Don't disable services unless you're sure it's safe to do so.
    Disabling the wrong service can render your system unbootable.

<em>Does TweakUI 1.33 work with XP? Any problems?</em>

It should work, but I'd recommend you get TweakUI 1.90 or greater,
    which comes with <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp">PowerToys for XP</a>.
    New version is greatly improved, letting you shut off those silly balloon tips.

Note -- XP-Powertoys are unavailable until MS fixes a dataloss bug.

<em>Any other tweaks you've found?</em>

If you muck about with services a lot, you might find the web view annoying.
    You can turn it off with gpedit.msc, as pictured below. Have fun.

<small>edit: VBulletin doesn't like the "net impact of zero" link above. The correct link is:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=4ecb01c193de$cc314b90$19ef2ecf@tkmsftn gxa01
    <small>
    Attached Files
    Last edited by orangejulius; 19 January 2002, 18:43.

Comment

Check out TweakXP

or

the forums on Neowin

They both have great tips on how to get the most out of WIN XP.

One important tip though .... :

If you plan to use Nero or any other CD Burning program disable the IMAPI CD Burning service

and finally ..... :

If you want to get the most out of your Cable Modem ... be sure to visit of the following site ... :

Last edited by Kosh Naranek; 19 January 2002, 19:03.
      Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
      incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Sony CD Extreme (rebadged Prassi) works fine with IMAPI CD Burning enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by orangejulius
          Sony CD Extreme (rebadged Prassi) works fine with IMAPI CD Burning enabled.
          You are Probably right. I don't have/know the program you mention.

However, on some systems where other burning programs are being used the IMAPI burning services affects the operation of these programs in a unwanted fashion.Such as a slooow startup of Nero.

As I always disables services not in use under Win XP and since I use Nero as my main CD authoring program I do not need the IMAPI CD burning service.But that's just my way of doing things.
          Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
          incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Here's a nice WinXP Services Tweak Guide:

Longform features discussing tech culture, computing history, and exploring the latest trends in technology, computer hardware and software.
            There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

and these...

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks all.....this is all the type of info I was looking for. For essential services, I found this site helpful too:

John
                Last edited by Johnny Ray; 20 January 2002, 20:01.

Comment

Working...
                X