Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moire problems with brick buildings and still flicker problems. Please advise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moire problems with brick buildings and still flicker problems. Please advise.

Well, I'm in the middle of another project, and it has to be finished by next Thursday. It's a bond referendum for a new school. Anyway, I know I'm going to be up pretty much from now until Thursday

I'm having terrible problems with moire patterns on brick buildings in stills that I have incorporated into the project. I thought I'd be "smart" and use my 2Mega pixel digital still camera for these shots so I get higher resolution to work with in case I cropped them.

Normally I shoot in the progressive frame mode of my Optura Pi and just capture the stills I need. No moire problems there.

So, I figured the moire is coming from the increased resolution of the digital still camera. I resampled these down to 720, no difference. Hmmm? Now I'm confused.

Finally, I tried the flicker reduction in MS Pro, that helped but not enough. I'm resolved to the fact that I'm going to have to reshoot these building tomorrow, they're schools actually. Hopefully I can con my wife into taking a nice "ride."

I am also having problems with flicker with shots taken using my digital still camera, but not the Optura Pi. Why is that?

As I said, I shoot in progressive mode.

The stills flicker badly when the field options are set to "progressive" and no "reduce flicker" selected.

They flicker mildly in progressive with reduce flicker enabled.

They don't flicker too much in Field A with reduce flicker enabled.

I reallly need them not to flicker at all.

BTW. What is the difference in the field options of individual clips and the global field options in MS Pro? How do they interact upon final rendering?

If the global is set to progressive and the clip is set to field what is going on with the output? I've never really understood the logic here and this may be part of my problem.

Any advice/experience with these problems would be greatly appreciated.

What does the "reduce flicker" tab in field options actually do?
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Hi,

When taking stills, have you tried keeping resolution high and the quality settings to normal? With the Fuji MX series, using that technique would remove some irregularities.

When I used Matrox MJPEG for outputing stills, there would be a slight flicker. However, it was unnoticeable to the casual observer. That was corrected completely by switching to PIC MJPEG.

Comment

Interesting, my camera is actually a Fuji 2600.

I wonder why increasing the compression decreases flicker.

I'll try it. Thanks for the tip!

Mark
      - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Working...
      X