MPEG2 encoding problems now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPEG2 encoding problems now!

After advice from some friendly people I have now tried MPEG2 encoding (from MJPEG 704*576)using the LSX program with my G400 bundle.

The quality was nice but there was no way my machine (PIII-500, 196MB) wanted to play the file without alot of stuttering. In fact it just misses big chunks of playback.

I also tried playing the file through PowerDVD with the same results. Normally DVD's play without a lost frame on my machine.

The data rate was only 4096kbits/sec so I do not know why it won't play. If I try encoding to 352*576 the quality is rubbish (and it still doesn't play properly!).

Apologies again if I am raising questions I should know the answers to but the more I try and work things out the more my head feels like it is going to explode!

Many thanks
    Andrew

Hi Sportive

You say the data rate was only >4Mb/s.
    Thats quite high for a lot of hard drives.
    Have you checked that your hard drive can deliver constantly at that speed?

Just an Idea

Biker

------------------

Comment

4 Mbits/s is DEFINITELY not too high for any hard disk in use today! Even the slowest will do > 5Mbytes/s while the fastest can do >20 Mbytes/s.

What you may want to check is also how fragmented is your hard disk.

Comment

Thanks for your replies...

I have used the same data rate for MPEG1 encoding with no problem at all. I can play full frame (704*576) MPJEG avi's with no problem at all either. I am 100% positive the HD is fast enough. Using Matrox Video benchmark, it gives an average of 6.19mb/sec which should be plenty.

I work on the basis that if I can catpure full frame MPJEG at the highest quality without ever dropping frames (which I can) then my HD must be fast enough!

The HD was defragged yesterday (I do it every few days on the ones I use for video stuff) so I know its not that either...

I am only using the bundled version of the LSX transcoder so maybe that's the problem?

Andrew

Comment

Typically, mpeg2 decoding is much more CPU demanding.
          From my experience, LSX mpeg1 and 2 files of the same datarate have equal quality. So you can definitely stay with mpeg1.

Grigory

Comment

Hi,
            I have same problem, with my Asus tv in / out card, and ligos lsx encoder. I was encoding Asus SV1 video to mpeg 2.
            On celeron 333 over. to 400, I can decode up to 12000Mb/s with 25 fps. (Pal)
            This is probably solution:
            Try following ipp sequence: I P P P I...
            To change this option, go to options, advanced, sequence tab, check I and P only and enter I P P P I..... and click OK.
            Some of my friends have same problems and solve it on this way.

many greatings.....

Comment

If you haven't already you should check to make sure that you have DMA enabled for your hard drive (assuming you don't have SCSI) it could be sucking up all your CPU time and interfering with your capture.

-John

Comment

Working...
              X