Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Patch for MEDIASTUDIO Now Up

Ulead has a new patch for Windows XP users of MEDIASTUDIO:

Turn your life’s best moments into stunning movies with Corel VideoStudio! Get creative with drag-and-drop stylish templates, artistic filters, titles, transitions, and the whole palette of advanced editing tools. Get your FREE trial.

Sounds like the same kind of fix that had to be added to the RT-2000's drivers for XP.

I see a pattern. Perhaps XP has an IEEE-1394 problem the vendors are stuck with fixing? Hmmmm......

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Yep.

I'm so glad I didn't wait for XP.

It has been such a disappointment to me, personally, to discover XP not only offers nothing new, but breaks functionality on some systems.

Windows 2000 works great.

Comment

I've XP on my new notebook. Lots of irratations compared with W2K, no real improvements that I can see yet, except perhaps it seems to handle being moved to a different network a little better than does W2K. That said, I'd choose XP over W2K on a notebook for one feature: cleartype. It really does improve text display on the LCD screen. On a desktop, I want no part of XP because of WPA.

Moving from win9x to w2k had lots of irratations but lots of benefits. Going from w2K to XP has nothing but irratations and rude surprises when drivers don't work or aren't available for your existing periphs.

Unfortunately I'm not sure you can buy W2K anymore.

--wally.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
          I see a pattern. Perhaps XP has an IEEE-1394 problem the vendors are stuck with fixing? Hmmmm......
          If that is the problem, it doesn't affect all IEEE-1394 cards / devices. I have two different cards, one that came with my MicroTek ScanMaker 5700 scanner, and another that I got with the Pinnacle Studio DV card. I bought both of these back before I started using XP, but both seem to be working fine in XP. This is with the ScanMaker 5700 scanner, a QPS Que!Fire 161040 CDRW, and my Sony DRC-TRV20 miniDV camcorder.
          "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
          Gainward Ti4600
          AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Nope, it doesn't affect all devices.

But then not all IEEE-1394 devices are the same. Some Sony cams are compliant, some aren't...and not by a little. Most DV decks are fine, but the Sony DHR-1000 can be a royal PIA with hard/software that works with the others.

In terms of the problem under discussion; Win2K works great with products XP won't touch without updated IEEE-1394 drivers from Microcrap. This is what was necessary to get XP working with the RT-2000 which, by the way, uses a dead-generic TI IEEE-1394 host controller for doing digital I/O's.

You can even use the RT-2000's IEEE-1394 from MSPro with no problems in Win9x/2K/ME....but in XP this combo does not work without the fixes

This business of IEEE-1394's "universality" is pure BS if the manufacturers, including Microsoft, don't hold up their end. So far they are not doing a very good job of it.

Dr. Mordrid

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 January 2002, 09:43.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hi,

Is there any real reason for Win2K users to install this patch?

Thanks

Comment

Not unless you want to give up on using IEEE-1394 from Win2K

Seriously...it's an XP ONLY patch and only for use with MSPro 6.5 or 6.0.0.2.

Dr. Mordrid

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 January 2002, 10:25.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Is this the patch I need for the "Bundled Ulead Video Studio 4 VE" that came with my G450? Matrox site still says that they are waiting for an update.

I had to upgrade from Win 98 because the 1394 driver did not work, so I went right to XP, only to find the software to get the digital video off my camcorder was still to be patched.

Thanks
                  Stephen

Comment

Well I just upgraded from Win2k to Win98SE. You may laugh, but it is such an improvement that it is like an upgrade. I have a lot of stuff on my computer, peripheral wise, but 3 things: a Marvel G400TV, Diamond MX 300 SC, Info Reader Elite SCSI scanner are not supported very wel or at all in Win2k. They work with a lot of massaging, hacking, and tweaking. Win98SE works great with all of them, straight install and no mucking about. MSP 6 also works so nicely with the DVDMax and gaming is faster. Until I can go out and buy ALL new components and they have drivers that YOU GUYS approve of, then I may upgrade to WinXP.

Until then, it is FAT32, 4G filesizes and vfw drivers...and all of them work!
                    WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                      Nope, it doesn't affect all devices.

But then not all IEEE-1394 devices are the same. Some Sony cams are compliant, some aren't...and not by a little. Most DV decks are fine, but the Sony DHR-1000 can be a royal PIA with hard/software that works with the others.

In terms of the problem under discussion; Win2K works great with products XP won't touch without updated IEEE-1394 drivers from Microcrap. This is what was necessary to get XP working with the RT-2000 which, by the way, uses a dead-generic TI IEEE-1394 host controller for doing digital I/O's.

You can even use the RT-2000's IEEE-1394 from MSPro with no problems in Win9x/2K/ME....but in XP this combo does not work without the fixes

This business of IEEE-1394's "universality" is pure BS if the manufacturers, including Microsoft, don't hold up their end. So far they are not doing a very good job of it.

Dr. Mordrid

I'll agree with some of what you've said. However, XP detected all of my devices properly from the beginning, where I had one heckuva good time getting 2K to accept the burner. In fact, I took nearly a week of playing around with different dll versions, settings, drivers, you name it, before I could finally get 2K to show the CDRW as a CDRW and not just a generic IEEE-1394 bus device. Prior to this point, none of my burning software would work, since they couldn't 'see' the drive in question. What was the most interesting thing to me was that Win2K didn't have any problems allowing me to use the drive as a reader, despite the misrecognition. (basically, the device ID string Win2K returned was different than the one returned by both WinME and WinXP).

But please, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's no problem with XPs IEEE-1394. I AM however saying that making a statement like that may be jumping the gun. Perhaps the problem in this case was actually in the way that MSP6.5 was written. After all, many applications required patches to work properly with XP.

System specs:
                      Gainward Ti4600

Comment

As I mentioned in my reply to your private message;

My frustration is targeted at;

1. Microsoft for screwing XP's IEEE-1394 support when used with many programs that worked with Win2K...which is supposedly XP's code base. Something sure changed.

2. Other manufacturers not *properly and fully* supporting it either (Sony in particular).

In my installations the devices were also properly detected and the property sheets showed they were "working properly". Not so.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 January 2002, 10:41.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

As I said in my last PM to you, Dr Mordrid, peace.

I didn't see anywhere on that linked page where they indicated this fixes anything, just that it:
                          enhances DV playback, asynchronization, and record back to DV tape functions for Windows XP® users
                          Also, they indicate that DX6.0 media isn't required after this patch. Sounds to me like XP has negated the need for DX6.0 media is all.

I hate to come off sounding like XP is perfect, because every piece of software ever written and released has bugs (trust me, I work as a CM in a software development organization, and I get to track lots of these bugs).

System specs:
                          Gainward Ti4600

Comment

(Last comment, then I'll stop posting to this topic )
                            My impression, based on the limited info on the download link is that the changes MS made in XP (as compared to 2K or the Win9x family now) incorporated things from DX6.0 media directly into the OS/DX8/drivers, and in the process may have changed the interface to it (I'm actually talking about the API syntax, etc. here).

Prior to this patch from ULead, use of DX6.0 Media was probably necessary because the calls MSP6.5 made were directed at the specific interface defined in DX6.0 Media. By adapting their code for the new improved (debate that later, as time will tell) code and interface included in XP, they can drop the requirements to distribute DX6.0 Media with their software (and all the baggage that comes with having the user install it, etc.)

If this is true, the patch would only work in XP, since the other OS's prior to it don't have the DX6.0 Media code incorporated elsewhere into the OS.

Okay, done. Don't shoot me. I'll burn my XP copy if it makes you happy, just lower the gun..

System specs:
                            Gainward Ti4600

Comment

general update strategy

IF IT AIN"T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

Win9x was broke for me from day one on, W2K is the only thing from MS since DOS 6.2 that works well enough for me to consider it not broken by design. YMMV.

--wally.

Comment

Working...
                              X