PDA

View Full Version : haig please read

borat
15th January 2002, 11:47
due to the recent rumors about matrox being in troubles(regardless of there validity) i , and i am sure many others , am wondering wether or not there will be any new high end card from matrox. haig would it be too much to ask if there would be such a part in the next say 12 months? i feel that if something is not released soon then many of us(Gurm obviously the exeption!) will be forced over to ATI and that would be dissapointing.haig?

Haig
15th January 2002, 13:54
Hi Borat,

I think it's safe to say that anytime a hardware manufacturer catering to the mass market has no new product to show every year, something is wrong. 2002 has just started so barring any unforseen complications, I would assume it is possible that perhaps you may have something coming. I can't be more direct than that unfortunately.

Regards

Nappe1
15th January 2002, 14:28
Haig, hehe :) Always saying so much and still saying so little. Well, good for you. :) NDA's aren't bad if you can keep playing with words, but still it is best just keep everything under wraps until you shall talk. :)

[GDI]Raptor
15th January 2002, 14:44
Haig, you're good in the "playing with words" buissnies! You didn't get any truble after the nVnews roumor thing??

Keep it going Matrox! I have faith in you this time! :)

rubank
15th January 2002, 16:05
Haig reveals:

barring any unforseen complications, I would ASSUME it is POSSIBLE that PERHAPS you MAY have SOMETHING coming. I can't be more direct than that

I would assume it is possible that perhaps you may have some information, but it is possible that perhaps it may not be worth waiting for considering the "new" hardware of 2001 from your company.

rubank

Greebe
15th January 2002, 17:20
I find it rather amusing that regardless of how many hints have been dropped you guys still wonder

----fixed a typo :)

Haig
15th January 2002, 17:44
I'm getting quite good at saying nothing, or the obvious, which ever way folks want to interpret it as:)

Besides, it's alot better than saying I don't know.

Haig

K6-III
15th January 2002, 18:14
I hope it means you have something coming. I'm looking for a solution other than ATI/NVIDIA and hope you come to the plate at last.

xortam
15th January 2002, 18:42
Oh I don't know Haig ... you've been known to say much more than nothing. ;)

Haig
15th January 2002, 19:39
That's becuase you veterans know me to well. To the rookies, my posts just sound like jibberish or "masochostic":)

Haig

Greebe
15th January 2002, 22:30
hehe is that a new perv religion? :D

Ant
16th January 2002, 00:25
So Haig is that a yes or a no? :P

KeiFront
16th January 2002, 00:41
He's a good politician. ;)

Rimfaxe
16th January 2002, 02:31
What and how much would it take to get Haig to speak or just slip something?!?
A nice dinner, woman, alcohol, a trip to Jamaica or something... :p

Has anyone ever tried to raise a funding for this purpose?

Maybe we should... ;)

Haig, what do you think? ;)

rubank
16th January 2002, 04:04
I find it rather amusing that regardless of how much vapor has been fumed you guys still hope

---- fixed a hypo :)

Tempest
16th January 2002, 04:27
2002 has just started (+1) so barring any unforseen complications (-1), I would assume it is possible (+2) that perhaps you may have (+1) something coming.
Haig Index = (4-1) = +3<pre>:( |...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...| :)
0 ^

Disclaimer: Approximative only. The Haig Index graphics may not show up as intended on all browsers.
</pre>

Dr Mordrid
16th January 2002, 05:21
Just what we needed....a numerologist who took Pre-cal :rolleyes:

Maybe Haigs fans just don't like being Pessimistic :)

Dr. Mordrid

TdB
16th January 2002, 05:54
I would assume it is possible that perhaps you may have something coming. I can't be more direct than that unfortunately.

well, can you be any LESS direct than that? :p

borat
16th January 2002, 11:33
thanks haig i guess i can wait a bit longer but only for the big M!

borat
16th January 2002, 12:28
thanks haigf will have to wait a bit longer then!

RC Agent
16th January 2002, 14:31
Originally posted by Haig
Hi Borat,

I think it's safe to say that anytime a hardware manufacturer catering to the mass market has no new product to show every year, something is wrong. 2002 has just started so barring any unforseen complications, I would assume it is possible that perhaps you may have something coming. I can't be more direct than that unfortunately.

Regards

It's already 2002, and I guess I will have to wait just a little bit more until I upgrade from my G200. ;)

Novdid
16th January 2002, 15:34
I have to agree with some here that Haig would make an excellent politician.;)

But I can't remember him writing that everyone would be pleased regarding the G450 and the g550 before those boards were released. But he wrote excactly that some time ago in a thread over at the tech support forums regarding the "next" release from M.:eek:

TdB
16th January 2002, 15:46
But he wrote excactly that some time ago in a thread over at the tech support forums regarding the "next" release from M.

he sure did:D :D :D
im having really high expectations :D

Rimfaxe
17th January 2002, 01:40
Haig, a serious question:

Do you know how Matrox is planning of shipping the new cards, if we assume there is a new card?

I live in Sweden and I would really like to buy a new card soon...
Does Matrox ship to USA-Canada first or will we get our share to? Does Matrox have a policy for "release date-shipping date"? How long can it take?

plz plz, no longer then 1 month from now... plz plz M... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Greebe
17th January 2002, 07:33
You have got to be kidding... do you honestly believe he can answer that? lol

VJ
17th January 2002, 07:48
:D
Well, some companies alter the place where a product is first launched. (I believe Plextor does this : one time the US gets the primer, the next time Europe goes first)

I think that is what Rimfaxe is asking : does Matrox have such a policy, and if so where will the next product be released first.

(either that, or he's trying to ask questions in the same way Haig gives answers; but he's not as good at it as Haig is :D :D :D)

Jörg

Rimfaxe
17th January 2002, 07:57
(either that, or he's trying to ask questions in the same way Haig gives answers; but he's not as good at it as Haig is )

He he he :p

How can you be good at saying nothing.... Really :confused:

I still would like my question answered... Not when, but how will M ship a new card if there will be one...
Or, maybe OEM gets the first 10 000 pices, who knows!

KeiFront
17th January 2002, 08:05
He just informing if it will be a hassle to get one (like with the G400 MAX) if they will release something in 2002 :p

Snake-Eyes
17th January 2002, 09:02
Originally posted by Ant
So Haig is that a yes or a no? :P
His answer to this question would most indubitably be definitely. :D

Haig
17th January 2002, 10:28
I don't know how it will be shipped. Your best bet is to talk to our sales people by calling their 1 800 line.

Haig

Casey Jones
17th January 2002, 11:19
----------"I don't know how it will be shipped. Your best bet is to talk to our sales people by calling their 1 800 line."

Do you actually have people answering the sales line now?

Casey

Haig
17th January 2002, 12:45
Yep, as opposed to the last time you called them.

Haig

Tempest
17th January 2002, 13:06
Originally posted by Rimfaxe
Do you know how Matrox is planning of shipping the new cardsThe card will be personally delivered to you on a stylish M-blue pillow made out of the finest velvet known to man. While you enjoy the included bottle of expensive champagne, the delivery girl will install the card and its drivers for you. When she leaves she will give you her number because she has been hired by Matrox to provide personal support just for you.

Nah... In fact the card will (if it ever arrives) come in a plastic bag with a piece of paper that says "driver for product may be found on internet".

TdB
17th January 2002, 13:16
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Rimfaxe
Do you know how Matrox is planning of shipping the new cards
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in a blue box?:eek:

Novdid
17th January 2002, 15:28
Tempest, was that a wet dream???:D

[GDI]Raptor
17th January 2002, 15:59
I hope Miss Millennium from CeBit 2001 comes to deliver it to me personly.... :D :D

Include a botle of expensive champagne, and a "live demonstration" of the exclusive Matrox feature Render Nude :eek:

Private suport...... :rolleyes:

Tempest
17th January 2002, 22:25
Originally posted by Novdid
Tempest, was that a wet dream???:D Although that may sound like something from Playboy, do you think that any REAL GEEK&reg; would open his door for a person that is obliviously only trying to obtain access to his hardware and pr0n? Let alone the fact that a REAL GEEK&reg; doesn't need technical support but wants to install all of his hardware himself. Duh.

DukeP
17th January 2002, 22:52
Lol.

Easy does it, my strong blowing friend... Easy does it..

:)

~~DukeP~~

Rimfaxe
18th January 2002, 00:20
Man, this is humor... :p

cjolley
18th January 2002, 08:26
Haig,
I'll bet your NDA does not cover Matrox stickers!
So, will a sticker come in the box of the next Matrox graphic card?
And, when might that theoretical sticker's box be expected to be generaly available?
Chuck

KeiFront
18th January 2002, 08:39
ROFLMAO

[GDI]Raptor
18th January 2002, 10:40
LOL :D

FormerEx-SalesSoup
18th January 2002, 11:21
Originally posted by Casey Jones
----------"I don't know how it will be shipped. Your best bet is to talk to our sales people by calling their 1 800 line."

Do you actually have people answering the sales line now?

Casey

The Sales Department is up and running, just call the 800 #, select the "Graphics Division" and then select the appropriate department from the messaging system and you'll be transferred over to a Sales Rep.

- Mony
Inbound Sales Supervisor

[GDI]Raptor
18th January 2002, 11:28
Yes, then tell me: Can the Sales Department of Matrox Graphics Division sell me a graphics solution comparable to GF3 Ti500 or the new GF4 within H1 2002

FormerEx-SalesSoup
18th January 2002, 11:32
Originally posted by [GDI]Raptor
Yes, then tell me: Can the Sales Department of Matrox Graphics Division sell me a graphics solution comparable to GF3 Ti500 or the new GF4 within H1 2002

You'll have to let Haig take care of that one. :)

Maggi
18th January 2002, 11:42
Welcome to the forums, Mony ... :)

very much apreciated to see some 'officials' in here.

FormerEx-SalesSoup
18th January 2002, 11:46
Originally posted by Maggi
Welcome to the forums, Mony ... :)

very much apreciated to see some 'officials' in here.

Thanks, Maggi. I don't know what took me so long. :)

-typo

[GDI]Raptor
18th January 2002, 11:48
Originally posted by SalesSoup

You'll have to let Haig take care of that one. :)

Yes, I hope he does that :)
Btw: Welcome to the forum!

Maggi
18th January 2002, 11:49
let me know when you find out .... :D

back to topic, I'd love to pre-order your next -gen gfx card ... any chances ?

:p:D:p

FormerEx-SalesSoup
18th January 2002, 11:52
let me know when you find out .... :D

back to topic, I'd love to pre-order your next -gen gfx card ... any chances ?

:p:D:p

For that, you'd have to talk to the Online Store staff. :)

mdhome
18th January 2002, 12:25
Originally posted by SalesSoup

For that, you'd have to talk to the Online Store staff. :)

Hiya Sales,
Any chance of getting one of them to come on over and join us on MURC. We'd be pleased to talk to them :)

Regards MD

FormerEx-SalesSoup
18th January 2002, 12:31
Originally posted by mdhome

Hiya Sales,
Any chance of getting one of them to come on over and join us on MURC. We'd be pleased to talk to them :)

Regards MD

They're busy processing orders, so I doubt they'll have free time to join us.;)

Haig
18th January 2002, 14:02
Mony?

Helevitia
18th January 2002, 14:11
LOL! Do you not know who Mony is Haig? hehe

hmmm...let's see....Monica, Montell...

Dave

[GDI]Raptor
18th January 2002, 16:58
Montel???
I WORK in a company called Montel.... ;)

http://www.montel.no

Haig
18th January 2002, 17:47
Hehe,

I know who he is. I'm just surprised to see him. Hopefully tiny and the rest of his staff can join in as well:)

Haig

[GDI]Raptor
19th January 2002, 02:20
Haig!
How many Matrox employees are curently on the MURC forums? :)

Hopfully we'll have some now products from Matrox to talk about in the near future, or what du you say Haig??? :cool:

Novdid
19th January 2002, 02:25
The relations between Matrox and their "users" are dearer than ever. (To bad many of the users doesn't use Matrox anymore!!!:rolleyes: )

Haig
20th January 2002, 18:03
How many Matrox employees are curently on the MURC forums?

At least 4 from tech supp and 1 from sales.

Haig

Greebe
21st January 2002, 02:02
hehe... you should see the stats shortly after Casey (or anyone else for that matter) posts up some tasty tidbits :D

FormerEx-SalesSoup
21st January 2002, 12:32
Hey Haig,

Sorry, I couldn't help but join in on the action. And I wanted to let everyone know that all this campaigning for your Presidency is more than worth it.

:)

- Mony

Maggi
21st January 2002, 12:54
Hi Mony,

your statement sounds quite interesting ... could you expand on that ?

FormerEx-SalesSoup
21st January 2002, 13:03
Hi Mony,

your statement sounds quite interesting ... could you expand on that ?

Just referring to all the good things people say about Haig on these boards.

- Mony

Tinysalestech
21st January 2002, 13:29
Hopefully tiny and the rest of his staff can join in as well

Well Haig, you asked for it you got, here I am, as if I had enough time these days, too busy busy fixing TS problems he he :D

Ant
21st January 2002, 13:40
Blimey look at 'em all coming out of the closet :)

Haig
21st January 2002, 13:56
Happy Bday Tiny.

PS: You using an agp system up there?:)

Novdid
21st January 2002, 14:12
It seems we got the whole company here.:eek:

Unheard of in nvidia/ATI-land.:rolleyes:

Saad
21st January 2002, 14:19
Hi all,

Just thought I'd even things out in here (2 from sales and now, 2 from TechSupp).

...as if I had enough time these days, too busy busy fixing TS problems he he

tsk! tsk! tsk!... Now, now, "tiny" is this anyway to greet your fellow inmates (ahem.. I mean colleagues) :p :D

KeiFront
21st January 2002, 14:42
Hey guys just cast a vote http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30726 ;) :p

[GDI]Raptor
21st January 2002, 15:01
How long time do you belive it takes before we have one directors of Matrox here??? :D

Nappe1
21st January 2002, 15:23
How long time do you belive it takes before we have one directors of Matrox here??? :D

well, I would like to see also some engineers. As being almost a one, I know that they aren't so tight lipped about things... ;)

Pace
21st January 2002, 15:59
Wow! Really got some big Matrox people in here. And some tiny ones too.

btw, the time is now here for me to share my secret. I am Maximus Decimus Meridius, the "Max" of "MATROX"

-out

TdB
21st January 2002, 16:33
Originally posted by Pace
Wow! Really got some big Matrox people in here. And some tiny ones too.

btw, the time is now here for me to share my secret. I am Maximus Decimus Meridius, the "Max" of "MATROX"

-out

It finally happend!!
the roman empire has conqured matrox:p

GT98
21st January 2002, 19:34
hmm with all these people from matrox running around in here now makes me wonder if they are busy at all working on a new card or not :p

Scott :D

K6-III
21st January 2002, 19:45
I wonder what'll happen with the powderkeg we have here when Matrox releases the gaming card we've all been waiting for.

Rimfaxe
22nd January 2002, 08:36
Hey, I think we are missing the point here...

All Matrox ppl, plz tell us about your next gamingcard. Ok?

Schattenreiter
22nd January 2002, 09:25
> GT98 wrote: hmm with all these people from matrox running around in here now makes me wonder if they are busy at all working on a new card or not -Scott
------------

Maybe they have this much free time because they finished the new card? :D

Oh yes, btw... hy folks! :) :)

Rimfaxe
22nd January 2002, 09:40
Hi Schattenreiter.

Welcome to MURC!

Schattenreiter
22nd January 2002, 10:26
Thank you Rimfaxe!

Schattenreiter
22nd January 2002, 11:51
Okay, serious question about the new card now:

Which operating systems will be supported?

Donīt laugh. I havenīt read a bit on the matrox-forum about that.
And I donīt think that this is a "Top-Secret" part!

Windows9x/NT/2k/Xp/Net? Linux (hopefully)? BeOS? MacOS?
I am using all these systems right now, so I am very intersted about *that* part.

Btw. you can put a regular Geforce into the new GX-MacIntoshs (because they have Dual-Bios). It would be cool if you could plug the new Matrox card into a Mac too! :cool:

Wombat
22nd January 2002, 19:12
Well, you know for sure they'll support MS.
And there have been Matrox products in Macs in the past, so maybe again.

BeOS? Probably not. BeOS is unfortunately dead as a doornail. Palm owns it, and is not releasing it. If I remember correctly, the G400 had BeOS drivers that were put together by some guy on his own time, so maybe there's hope.

Linux? Probably drivers, but we'll have to see what the feature support is like. Matrox hasn't been as good with helping the Linux community as they were during the G200 days. Less specs released this time, but they did put out some tools and binaries. They don't even have their web page straight.

Lorne Trottier
22nd January 2002, 20:12
Alright, Alright. I'm sick of all this whining! We'll announce the release of our next graphics card a week from next Tuesday. It will have the following features:

*Dual 800MHz Ramdacs
*1 GB DDRII Memory
*Dual 512 bit memory bus
*50 Trillion megapixels/megatextels per second
*Virtual 3D Holographic Imaging
*Render Subject nude (in holographic 3D of course)
*And a related feature building on current technologies:
Virtual 3D ButtCasting! (the ultimate office prank tool.. moon
your friends and co-workers in holographic 3D!)

This card will Retail for $39.99 USD ($59.99 with 2GB DDRII) and will ship in quantity with complete driver support on the day of announcement.

;)

GT98
22nd January 2002, 20:18
Originally posted by Lorne Trottier
Alright, Alright. I'm sick of all this whining! We'll announce the release of our next graphics card a week from next Tuesday. It will have the following features:

*Dual 800MHz Ramdacs
*1 GB DDRII Memory
*Dual 512 bit memory bus
*50 Trillion megapixels/megatextels per second
*Virtual 3D Holographic Imaging
*Render Subject nude (in holographic 3D of course)
*And a related feature building on current technologies:
Virtual 3D ButtCasting! (the ultimate office prank tool.. moon
your friends and co-workers in holographic 3D!)

This card will Retail for $39.99 USD ($59.99 with 2GB DDRII) and will ship in quantity with complete driver support on the day of announcement.

;)

ROFLAMO! :rolleyes:

Though if this is Mr. Matrox...all I can hear now is: No Matrox Card for You...You go to end of line (in Soup Nazi Voice from Sendfeid!)

Scott

Ant
23rd January 2002, 00:53
Why set your sights so low ;)

mdhome
23rd January 2002, 01:45
Hello Lorne
Welcome to Murc.

Originally posted by Lorne Trottier

Hey, isn't that the same day that the GF4 is being released? :)

Schattenreiter
23rd January 2002, 07:46
To wombat: Shure they do support MS, question was if they are still going to support 9x.

Btw, BeOS came with full working G400 drivers. ;)

Letīs hope they come out with full working Linux drivers. Theres a hell of a lot of unix-people who buy Geforce because of the detonators. :(

Elie
23rd January 2002, 13:54
Windows 9x is dead, Microsoft will soon drop support for 9x too, because the future is the NT kernal, I'm even surprised Matrox still supports NT 4.0 and OS/2?
I say NT 4.0 because it didn't support DX higher than DX 3 rendering it useless for many apps, although it's OGL support was ok, it was a tough OS to program for.

[GDI]Raptor
23rd January 2002, 16:51
Originally posted by Ant
Why set your sights so low ;)

Yes, lets hope for something beter! I hope Matrox is ready to announce something very soon. They should anounce their next-gen. chip before Game Developer Conferance, what is Matrox planing to do on a tradeshow for computer games whitout a gaming card!??

EDIT:
Look what i found on X-Bit: SiS Started Sampling SiS330

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1011789145

Come ON Matrox! Don't let SiS beat you!!!!
:eek:

Wombat
24th January 2002, 00:36
Elie, they support NT4 because that's all a lot of people want/need. For corporations with a ton of 2D desktop apps, NT4 is fine. They have a solution that they know it stable. Why pay for an unneeded "upgrade?"

Similar material for Win9x. MS stops supporting it because they want to force upgrades. People don't want to pay for the upgrade. Getting a supported video card is cheaper and less hassle than upgrading the OS.

You'll also find a number of companies who are not about to adopt MS "subscriptionware."

Also, AFAIK, Matrox was not the one to write the drivers for BeOS. Now there's nobody left to do it.

No comment on Matrox's Linux support.

magog
24th January 2002, 14:13
Hi Elie!
> I'm even surprised Matrox still supports NT 4.0 and OS/2?

Their is no OS/2 driver development for the latest G550 from Matrox and so I don't think they develop a driver for the new card.
But if they'll support SciTech Software in the future that won't be a problem, because their driver is really great!

In Dec. 2000 Matrox made SciTech a nice present. They gave them several source codes regarding the Gxxx chips, so SciTech could include TV-Out and DVI support to the SciTech Display Doctor (SDD).
We all hoped that SciTech would also deliver Duak Head functionality, but the development is currenty low priority.
Since the 19. Jan 2002 the G550 is officially supported in the SDD.

For all that do not know that driver:
It's an universal driver, so you can change the currently installed graphic card with another supported one (have a look at the readme: ftp://ftp.scitechsoft.com/sdd/beta/os2/) without having to install a different graphic driver.
SciTech build a hardware independent layer and reads the hardware specific stuff from a driver database.

By the way the OS/2 clone with a refreshed WPS and some other extensions is called eCS (eComStation - http://www.ecomstation.com).
If you want a stable OS with a great GUI and/or don't have the time to dig into Linux you may should take a closer look on it!

Schattenreiter
25th January 2002, 05:45
> I'm even surprised Matrox still supports NT 4.0 and OS/2?

A lot of the big corporations still use OS/2!
At least all the major banks in germany do so.

And matrox still delivers graphic cards for the big business guys. Remember? :D ;)

Btw, BeOS is not totally dead. There are a few programmers and developers (120 or so) who rewrite and recreate the BeOS as OpenBeOS!
Itīs based on the "NewOS" kernel!

http://open-beos.sourceforge.net/index.html

Check it out! :cool: ;) :cool:

xortam
25th January 2002, 09:32
I'm always amused when I hear someone proclaim that some OS or language is dead. Kids!

DentyCracker
25th January 2002, 15:54
I am heartened that people are still working on BeOS.

Tinysalestech
20th February 2002, 10:28
Once again Haig, just shovel them off to the sales dept baiting them with the 1 800 carrot:(

DuRaNgO
20th February 2002, 12:52
hehe, damn you Haig! I'm a techy, not a politician! ;)

Dogbert
21st February 2002, 03:32
Lorne Trottier,

don't dare trying to take my place at Matrox PR, the consenquences will be grave ! (though I liked the "Virtual 3D ButtCasting")

DentyCracker,
I also still toy with BeOS once is a while and I follow th enews about the OpenBeOS project even though BeOS is "Mostly dead".