Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need 20GB backup solultion - h/w & s/w ideas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need 20GB backup solultion - h/w & s/w ideas ?

Hi. I plan on locally backing up a 20Gig file store held on a Win2k network. I want to automate nightly backups to a local PC. I would be grateful for recommendations of hardware & software that isn't going to break the bank. Speed isn't an issue.

Thanks, Tony.
    FT.

Can you not just create a batch file to copy the files in question then use the NT scheduler to run it at set intervals i.e. every night
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Hi Taz. Sure Anyone have any preference for a backup device?

T.
      FT.

Comment

I'm quite happy with the 30 gig Onstream digital tape we use for local backups. USB, so it's easy to move from machine to machine as required and it comes with its own backup software too.

Dave
        Don't make me angry...

Comment

what I used to play with.......

was DAT drives....had HP SureStore/DAT 24 at work, good for 24 gigs compressed............my 2 home servers have DDS-1 drives good for 2 gigs....but they were given to me free...pricewatch has these (DAT24/DDS-3 drives) drives <$200 and the media is cheap <$10-20 per tape.......as for automatic backups....I gotta remember how I set it up...

-Dil
          Last edited by Dilitante1; 14 January 2002, 20:39.
          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Remember tape drive manufacturers always quote the max storage figure based on 2:1 compression, in real life you won't get anything close to that. You might get away with a 15/30Gb drive but I would go for a 20/40Gb to be on the safe side which means either a DDS4 DAT drive, a Tandberg SLR drive or if your really rich a DLT drive. I would personally go for the SLR drive as I find DAT drives too unreliable.
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
            X