Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went to "Monster Jam" today, and do I feel ripped off...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to "Monster Jam" today, and do I feel ripped off...

"Monster Jam" is a monster truck rally that comes through town once or twice a year. I usually take the kids, and my dad for his birthday, since it usually comes to town the weekend after his bday. This year was no different. The kids love monster trucks, and me and dad are good ol Detroit motor heads. So I went and got the tickets a few days ago for todays show.

In years past, it has been held at the Denver Collosium, which is smaller than most of the venues you usually see on TV, but large enough to have a decent short track with a turn, a couple jumps, and a couple lines of crush cars.
    Additionally, they would run a series of "tough truck" races, where locals would take out their hopped up (or old beater) 4x4s, and have some fun racing, and put on a good little side show for the crowd.
    They also run "Quad wars", which is a series of ATV races that is so obviously fake, it make WWF wrestling look real.
    Last year, they also included one of those "transformer" type giant dinosaur machines that rips cars apart and torches them.

This year, they moved it to the Pepsi Center, Denvers new home for the Avalanche and Nuggets. A very nice arena. So naturally, the ticket price went up. 2 adults and 2 kids tickets cost me $76 (and these where the cheap seats!), plus $10 for parking, and $30 for hotdogs and drinks.
    I can deal with that if I am treated to a good show...
    BUT the floor space in Pepsi Center is even smaller than the collosium. So the track for the races was nothing more than a start line, one jump, 3 crush cars, and a finish line (x2, one left lane, one right lane). This means each race was about 2.2 seconds long.
    There was also not enough room for the tough trucks races, so they where omitted.
    And the quad wars races where as cheesy as ever...but at least me and my dad had a good time laughing at the screaming morons who obviously thought these races where real
    And instead of the transformer thing chewing up cars for 20 min, they had a motorcycle stunt guy who did ONE jump over the hoods of two whole trucks (oooh, aaah, wow!)

So, with the shortened perfomance list (no tough trucks), the sickengly short tracks (with only 6 monster trucks racing), and the obscene prices for everything involved, I ended up shelling out well over a hundred bucks for LESS THAN 2 hours of mediocre entertainment.

To put it mildly, I am somewhat disappointed.
    Next time, I'm going to the drag races....

(end venting mode)
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Would you like Cheddar or Nacho cheese with your whine?

Seriously, it sucks. The value of entertainment has been going down for some time now. Especially in those motorsport events.

Rags

Comment

Hmm if only I could figure out how to rip others off as badly as I've been ripped off in the past, I could be rich. Maybe I could work for Microsoft..

Comment

It's no different here Kruzin. I quit going a couple of years ago because they hold it inside the arena which, as you described, give the race about 2.2 seconds. It's a joke now. I miss the old days when the would hold it inside a colliseun and the track would span half the field or more and they could take crazy flying leaps of death.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

When they come to Detroit they have it at the Pontiac Silverdome.

At almost 100,000 sq. ft. floor space and well over 90,000 seats you could fit a decent sized town in that place

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 January 2002, 09:44.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Not a single post about the inherent entertainment value of a monster truck rally, regardless of the price?
            PIII 550@605
            IWill Motherboard VD133
            VIA Chipset
            512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
            G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
            DirectX 8.0a
            SB Live! Value
            8x DVD (Toshiba)
            6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
            Intel Pro/100+ NIC
            3Com CMX Cable Modem
            Optiquest V95 19"
            HP 812C Color Ink Jet
            Microtek flatbed scanner
            Intellimouse Explorer
            Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
            AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ahartman
              Not a single post about the inherent entertainment value of a monster truck rally, regardless of the price?
              Just because you aren't into motorsports doesn't mean others aren't. It's big business across the country.

Rags

Comment

what?!...

They also run "Quad wars", which is a series of ATV races that is so obviously fake, it make WWF wrestling look real.
                You mean WWF is fake? (my world is shattered)

-Dil
                Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Being a frequent visitor to the San Jose Arena, where the Sharks play, I couldn't imagine there being anywhere close to enough room for a Monster Truck show there!

By the way, I will be there Saturday night to watch the Sharks drive over the visiting team -- Colorado Avalanche. At $39 a ticket I will be lucky to get away with keeping the night below $200 for me, wife, and 2 boys.
                  My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

I went a couple of years back when it was in the Pacific Coleseum(old school hockey arena that the Canucks played in back in the day) and it was too small for sure. But they had Roll Over competitions. This is cool. Where a guy takes his beater Chevette or Honda and hits a ramp with 2 wheels. The object being to do the most rolls possible before the car comes to rest. Most guys were getting 2 complete 360 deg rolls, and one guy went over 3 times. Loads of fun. But, again too small.

however, next saturday, I am taking my staff(on the company dime) out to the Monster Trucks and this time it is in BC Place! Way bigger! We have CFL (big field) football here. With lots of room for Cheerleaders, dance teams etc. Should be great!
                    AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X