Hard drive "Spin up" noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive "Spin up" noise

One of my IBM DTLA's has begun emiting a high pitched "Spin up" noise at post.

I am conducting bakupps of everything on that drive because I suspects that it might fail any time...

Has any one had similar experience?
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

try running IBM's diagnostic on it
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I will.

As soon as I get the files backed to another drive...

Damn those programs that produse invalid filenames.....

The copy proces was killed twice!
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

DFT did not find anything to complaine on

I'l just have to do weekly backups...

and see if it fails or something....

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
          DFT did not find anything to complaine on

I'l just have to do weekly backups...

and see if it fails or something....
          Run DFT on it in "Excersize" mode for about 8 reps.
          If it's about to fail, this will find it.
          Chuck
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley

Run DFT on it in "Excersize" mode for about 8 reps.
            If it's about to fail, this will find it.
            Chuck
            The excersizer destroyes everything on the drive? right....

Comment

Yup, I think so....
              Backup first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              chuck
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

The drive still works after 8 exerciser rounds...

And better yet, that test is not data destructive (well if the drive fail while its testing it is )

It stick to my original plan and do weekly backups on the files from that drive

Comment

If you have a DTLA drive and it's making a spin-up noise then do the following;

1. BACK IT UP!!

2. Get in touch with IBM and arrange an exchange, preferrably for a NON-DTLA drive!!

IBM has been having a rather large problem with these drives, with the replacements often being as bad or worse than the originals.

There have been long threads on this in the Storage Review forums and other locations across the net. There have even been discussions here at MURC, so you might want to do some searching.

Unfortunately checking the forums at Storage Review should be done ASAP as their site is going down at the end of the month.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

The bad thing is that its nr2 in a raid.....
                    that'l mean that i vill have to get two new drives...
                    Because I rather sell the working one and use the falty one as target practise and buy new ones than ever having to do with IBM's so called "competent" suport...

9 times out of 10 it's some snotty guy who prefers to speak french and when he is forced to speak english he indead make it all to clear that he thinks that english is a repulsive language

Then comes the question: What to buy?

Ibm GXP's?
                    Samsung....
                    Western Digital,!Never in my life!

These are the tre available brands to me.....
                    Last edited by Technoid; 15 January 2002, 08:40.

Comment

The GXPs are the ones that have the problem.
                      I had 2 die on me in the space of 1 week
                      (both in the same array!)
                      They replaced my 45 GXPs with the new model
                      60 Giggers.
                      They have been doing fine now.
                      1, I put coolers on them.
                      2, The raid is now a 60 Gig mirror not a 90 Gig stripe
                      chuck
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

I have had a 92mm fan blowing at the raid since I modded my new case!
                        Its temperature controlled...

The HDD's never reach above 37...

The hottest they ever where was 40 degrees (in the old case in the middle of summer, and then the fan setup was less efficient..)

Mirroring is a way....

but the reason I for replacin my second drive with a striped raid was speed and size..(and that I got a DTLA over from my other computer....)

what about the GXP120's??

Comment

Why exactly do the GXP drives fail? Was it something to do with one of the parts overheating?

Comment

Last time I looked, nobody knew for sure. One theory that I heard, and have become particularly interested in after hearing various anecdotes, is that some ofthe GXPs are <I>extremely</I> sensitive to power supply quality, and that these failures are the result of the drive browning out. Someone here on MURC had a GXP running fine, but when they had to replace their power supply, went for a cheapy, and the drive died. I haven't had any problems with my 75GXP, and I have a very robust 350W power supply.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I used to have a old Seventeam server 300W (Pre AMD 300W requirements)

And I have now upgraded to a 340W Cheiftech PS that are both amd and intel approved...

Why did the IBM hdds start to go down the drain???

Did they produce drives faster than they should have done to meet the demand?

I only know that I will get another pair of drives before I even try to get a replacent from ibm....

Last time I had samsungs for a month, rabid data destruction for two weeks and another months of hagling before I got a replacement for the faulty replacement drive...

Comment

Working...
                              X