IDE Controller and CD-ROM problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDE Controller and CD-ROM problem

I am losing my hair over this (sorry if it is draggy).
    The motherboard in question : MSI K7T266 Pro (not the A version) latest bios
    The problem : Win98 refuses to recognize the cdrom on its own. If i force it using dos drivers the cdrom works in win98 however it goes into ms-dos compatibility mode and i cant install software that uses long filenames..(the biggest problem) and games eg, diablo II refuses to recognize the cd.

I narrowed the problem to (Under device manager) Primary and Secondary IDE controllers having the !. Windows reported that there is either a hardware problem or incomplete driver installation (code 10). The funny thing is that the Parent Device "VIA Bus Master IDE Controller" has no problems, I believe the hardware is okay as I can detect the cdrom in bios and can boot up the system with it and even copied files in DOS.

I tried updating the drivers (via 4in1s) but to no avail. I even did a clean install (re-Fdisked and formated). Has any of you guys encountered this before?
    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Dreaded via chipsets. Do you install the via ide drivers striaght away? Have you checked to see whether everything is okay before you install the via drivers? Have you tried disconnecting the cd rom drive to see if the exclemation marks disappear?
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Hi!

If I were u I would try 580_3011.zip or 3012 from via's site.
      I prefer this driver because the driver from 4in1 4.34 doesnt install properly on my system.
      http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

Comment

http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/4in1/4in1437v(a).zip
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

What model CDROM? Is it ATAPI compliant? Try moving it around (PS, SM, SS). IDE devices can be very temperamental, esp. older ones.
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

You might also try looking in your registry for a string value called "NOIDE".
            If this is set to true then Windows will exibit this behavior.
            If you find it, then just delete it.
            Chuck
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

You can also look under safemode to see if theres any dupclicate entries for the hard disk controller as this can stuff it up.
              Another to do is install the via drivers manaully as sometime windoze doesn't pick these up even though the files are installed.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                You might also try looking in your registry for a string value called "NOIDE".
                If this is set to true then Windows will exibit this behavior.
                If you find it, then just delete it.
                Chuck
                I agree with Chuck. look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VxD\IOS
                if you see a value named "NoIDE". Delete it, close regedit and reboot!

Comment

Thank you guys,
                  I'll try what Ayoub and chuck's suggestions first thing once i reach my workplace..

Denty, it is an Aopen 50x cdrom and it is working perfectly in a another system of similar config. I havent moved it around though as i had left it at PS.. will try that as well.

Bel.
                  Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                  ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

I had the same type of thing happen to me recently, and I think I twisted my IDE cable one too many times the wrong way and killed it. You might consider that too; good thing their relatively cheap.

Bart
                    Bart

Comment

Working...
                    X