No announcement yet.

OT: Toshiba Develops the Next-Generation Large-Capacity Rewritable Optical Disk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Toshiba Develops the Next-Generation Large-Capacity Rewritable Optical Disk

I just wonder for how long will the big majors stop these new storage technologies from reaching the consumers market...

Sony & Panasonic announced their 405 nm blue/violet laser DVD (aka DVD-Blue) last year. The problem isn't anything but price. The DVD manufacturers, deck and disk, would have to re-do their whole process to use these formats.

As such they are as a group looking to other options, such as using more highly compressed formats like Windows Media (this is already a lock) and ISO MPEG-4 on the existing 650 nm DVD disks. The new ISO MPEG-4 standard already includes both studio and distribution profiles.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 January 2002, 09:43.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Doc

What do mean by "new" MPEG-4 standard? This has been out for years. Maybe you mean MPEG-7????? This is relatively new and is applicable to all types of media, as I understand it???????
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Brian,

perhaps he meant dvd's compressed with mpeg4 instead of mpeg2

Comment

The ISO MPEG-4 Version 2 standard, which was just locked into place in 2000. "new" by comparison to Microsofts abominable ASF/MPEG-4 and its bastard child, DivX.

Neither of these deserves to be put into the same sentence as ISO MPEG-4 for various reasons, not the least of which is that ISO has a complete set of profiles and levels.

These profiles run from low bitrate QIC all the way up to CCIR 601 @ from 90 to 1800 mbit/s...11.25 to 225 mbyte/s.

And you wondered what use a Fasttrak TX4 running over 100 mbtye/s would be

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 January 2002, 07:39.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
          X