G400 Max not as clear as before.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Max not as clear as before.

Just a few days ago I upgraded my OS to WindowsXP, on a formatted hard drive and G400 driver v5.72.but I soon discovered that the display is not as clear as before, it's blur on the edge of letters displayed, the clear type display mode in windows make it even worse.
    My screen resolution is 1024*768*32bit color, with a NEC 17" monitor. Is it a driver issue or wrong driver settings led to this problem?

It's gotta be something else cause I see it as sharp as ever @1600x1200 32bit in XP with cleartype fonts
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hmm...how about cooling then? Will insufficient cooling cause the problem?
      Because I had newly install a Promise Ultra100 TX2 card to PCI slot 1, and I readfrom motherboard montior with my thermal sensor show that the card was about 4 degrees C hotter.

Comment

I'd highly doubt it's a thermal issue... if it was then you would see it change from the time you first booted til it warmed up... or by the temp swing from morning /afternoon/night
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

What refresh rate are you using? Is it the same refresh rate that you used with your earlier operating system? Some monitors have dramatic changes in picture quality in different refresh rates, because they are optimized for one specific rate (like 75 or 85 Hz).

Okay, so ClearType IS supposed to antialias the edges of fonts, but you probably knew that already In addition to ClearType there is also the normal font smoothing in XP, but if you've found where to enable/disable ClearType you've probably found this one too. I recall it's an alternative setting (no smoothing-smoothing-ClearType).

I'm stumped. I used XP with my G400 MAX for some time and the display was clear and readable as ever. Is the "blur effect" visible on other items also, or only on the text ?

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
            I'd highly doubt it's a thermal issue... if it was then you would see it change from the time you first booted til it warmed up... or by the temp swing from morning /afternoon/night
            I guess mine may be a thermal issue, it works well in mornings, but it seems to be an edge of blue color around text when at night, the text surrounded by a blue edge really makes me uncomfort.

Comment

It sounds more like your monitor needs calibrating, and/or it changes as the monitor changes temperature. Download a monitor test pattern (or make one), and make sure everything is aligned.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I find the fonts blurrier and less readable with Cleartype on... isn´t that for LCD displays?

My guess is that the problem is the monitor. Check it out before you through your G400 out.

Comment

I confirmed it is a thermal issue by clear PCI 1 for cooling of the card. It now works as good as it used to be.
                  And for the reason I try cleartype mode, it's simply because I though it can make text disply more smooth and comfortable.
                  And thanks for all ur help.

Comment

I'm glad you have your problem solved. What card was in PCI1? I'm curious if it really was thermal, or if it was EM interference.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                      I'm glad you have your problem solved. What card was in PCI1? I'm curious if it really was thermal, or if it was EM interference.
                      It's a Promise Ultra100 TX2 card, I use it for addition of IDE channels. Before I installed it in PCI4, arranged after my SB Live! value and NIC, it works fine in win98 but took over 10 minutes to boot in winXP (really awful), I then installed it in PCI 1 to try to solve that problem, but seems that it caused G400 overheat. At last I solved by installing SB live! value card to PCI4 and Ultra100 TX2 on PCI2.

Comment

Yep, if at all possible one should leave the first PCI slot unoccupied... Reasons for this:

-Usually shares resources such as IRQ:s with the AGP slot
                        -blocks airflow
                        -may cause interference
                        -something else that I don't seem to recall right now

ps. Just being "jälkiviisas" here, nice that you got your problem solved.
                        ps2. Jälkiviisas=the kind of smartass that comes after a problem has been solved and says "yeah, that's what I would have done too"

Comment

Working...
                        X