Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! The second partition on my boot drive has disappeared!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! The second partition on my boot drive has disappeared!!!

I turned on my computer today and the second partition on my boot drive doesn't appear to exist anymore. The drive is an IDE 10 Gb Seagate Medalist Pro which was divided into two partitions, 3 Gb on the C partition and 7 Gb on the D partition. Win98se does not recognize the D partition any longer, only the C partition. The other drives in my computer appear, but of course they've now moved up a notch in regards to the drive letters.

I desperately need the info on the D partition. What has happened??!!!

Sounds like a corrupt partition table. That's pretty bad. Someone else will have to chime in, but I think the Norton utilities might be able to help you. I don't know of any default MS tools that can.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Tears running down my cheek...

That's not what I wanted to hear.

I have Norton Utilities installed. What can it do?

Comment

My first choice would be PartitionMagic ... I believe they have a trial/shareware version available !
        If PartitionMagic can't fix it ... nothing can I think !
        Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
        incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

I would be more concerned if the size of the remaining partitions had suddenly jumped up in size.

Partition magic and other disk management tools can help.

Rags

Comment

Slight glimmer of hope maybe...

Thanks for the responses guys. Sounds like there might possibly be some hope. I have a copy of Partition Magic here that I've never used. Guess it's time to dust it off.

Comment

Probably the Fat table is corrupt you can restore this with a diskeditor or partition magic.
              Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
              Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
              Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Use a partition manager, such as FDISK, and see if the partition is even still defined. You've got a corrupted partition table if it doesn't show up on such a utility. You've got FS problems if the partition displays correctly but the OS doesn't recognize the volume(s). I couldn't see any partitions under W2K once and was able to correct it simply using the Recovery Console ... nice!!!
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

If PM doesn't help you then try Norton.
                  I have had it recover corrupted partition tables before.
                  Chuck
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Exercise caution with disk utilities

Sometimes for whatever reason, a partition becomes hidden.
                    Win9X doesn't like more than one primary partition on a drive. I'd try to put the HD in a win2k or winxp machine and see if the partition is seen then back it up before using any disk utilities
                    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

A little more info...

Win9X doesn't like more than one primary partition on a drive.
                      Denty, There is only one primary partition on the boot drive. The partition that's disappeared is an extended DOS partition. I'll try your idea though about putting the drive in a Win2k computer to see if it shows up. Thanks.
                      You've got FS problems if the partition displays correctly but the OS doesn't recognize the volume(s).
                      xortam, When I used fdisk it showed the missing partition, but interestingly enough, it did not give me the option of displaying the logical drive information. For example, if I run fdisk on another computer with the same partitions, I get this prompt:
                      The Extended DOS Partition contains Logical DOS Drives.
                      Do you want to display the logical drive information? (Y/N)
                      Does the fact that this prompt doesn't appear tell us something? By the way xortam, what does FS stand for in your post?

Wombat and Chuck, you've both mentioned using Norton Utilities which I currently have loaded on the computer. Which particular utility would I use? If there's something in Norton which might help I'd like to use that before I try Partition Magic which I'm totally unfamiliar with.

Comment

I still think that putting the drive in a win2k/xp machine and backing up its contents should be done, especially if the partition is readable uder those OSes. Oh I see you're taking on that one. FS refers to FileSystem. The thing about Norton is that if it fails then you partition is fubar.

Interestingly I've been able to restore formatted partitions with BeOS. That is usually my last resort.
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Patrick,

why not try a search in Google for " harddisk lost partition", you should get a lot of hints this way.

Or you could go herehttp://moscht.tripod.com/DOS/ and download his HDTOOL, that claimes to solve your problem.

rubank

Comment

Re: A little more info...

Originally posted by Patrick
                            ...Wombat and Chuck, you've both mentioned using Norton Utilities which I currently have loaded on the computer. Which particular utility would I use?...
                            Plain old ordinary Disk Doctor can fix most of these problems.
                            Chuck
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Re: A little more info...

Originally posted by Patrick
                              By the way xortam, what does FS stand for in your post?
                              Filesystem I'd think.

And, if the above all fail, try GetDataBack from <a href="http://www.runtime.org">Runtime Software</a>, I used it personally recently for a very badly damaged drive - recovered every data file we needed (except command.com ).
                              Meet Jasmine.
                              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Working...
                              X