Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUSL-2 and i815EP - corrupted hd read/write

Hi!

A friend of mine bought an Asus TUSL-2 mobo with a Cel-900.
    The problem is that copying large files the files get corrupted. The patch of Operation Flashpoint verifies the currently installed version first and comes up with many error - corrupted files - so it cannot be patched. The same happens across LAN.
    I had similar with my via686A chipset which had a driver problem I could cure.
    He's installed all the drivers from the Asus CD. He downloaded drivers from Intel but didn't work.

Anybody ever met similar error before?

I've got a Asus TUSL2-C and no such problem.

Please check the RAM with memtest86 from www.memtest86.com. I have a flatmate who had similar problems on a VIA/Athlon system: random lockups in 3D games and corrupting harddrive data. In the end we found out that the RAM was faulty.

btw. Are you overclocking? What memory timings are you running at? SPD-determined?

Comment

I also have the Asus TUSL2-C, and never had any problem with corrupted files. Try some other memory.
      System1:
      Asus P4T533, Pentium IV 3,06GHz, 512MB SAMSUNG Rimm 4200, MAXTOR DiamondMax Plus60 20GB, MAXTOR DiamondMax Plus60 60Gb, MATROX PARHELIA, MATROX RTX100, ULTRAPLEX 40MAX, PLEXWRITER 12/10/32S, 2 x IIYAMA Vision Master Pro510

System2:
      ASUS P4T533, Pentium IV 3,06 GHz, 512 MB SAMSUNG Rimm 4200, MAXTOR DiamondMax Plus60 20GB, MAXTOR DiamondMax Plus60 60Gb, SAPPHIRE 9800XT, CREATIVE AudigyII, ULTRAPLEX 40MAX, PLEXWRITER 40/12/40S, 2 x IIYAMA Vision Master Pro510

Comment

solved

It has nothing to do with memory.
        I dl-ed and installed the iidew9x.zip from asus (wasn't easy because most of the sites are buggy) and the corruption went away.
        I had similar probs with my VIA 686A based mobo which I solved similar way. I dl-ed the 3011 ide driver.
        Its working perfect.

Anyway, thanx for ur responses.

Ps: I found memtest pretty interesting, thanx for the link ;-)

Comment

One thing I have seen with I815s is the IDE controllers going bad. I've seen it on two different mobos, an ABIT SA-6, and a SuperMicro: the IDE controller crapped out after one was built with a pair of IBM XP series HDDs on one channel and a DVD-ROM/CD-Writer on the other. Minor data corruption, but no hard disk damage resulted.

I did a little "testing" and found the chipsets on both offending boards got hotter than hell, so I did a little shopping and settled on a HS/HSF from Lasagna. I attached the cooler with four dots of Odorless Jet and a very thin daub of Heat sink grease. Worked like a charm on the replacement boards. (I suggested a Promise IDE controller to keep all the drives Masters, he's still thinking about that one...)

I put a heatsink on the North and South bridge of every I815 chipset-based 'puter I build now. (I use the Power Supply and Case Fan headers on the mobo for that.)
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
          X