Now this looks interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now this looks interesting

The Sound Blaster product range has an audio upgrade solution – internal and external—for every setup. Don’t stop at stunning visuals. Redefine your audio experience with Sound Blaster.

Next question will it work with Via usb properly???
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

afaik USB sound solutions always have had problems with bandwidth (at least USB 1.0/1.1) and isn't USB sound a software solution to some degree (at least a lot more than a good PCI soundcard with DSP?)

Comment

USB = Suck.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Agree completly with Gurm USB sucks, why didn't thy use a firewire interface.
        Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
        Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
        Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Because USB audio has shipped with every OS since Win98?

And therefore works with almost everything... well, except games. And anything with lots of samples (since it overloads the bus). And anything that requires continuous sound. And most things, really.

*shrug*

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Well, it's not an awful idea. There are some connectors I'd really like to see on there, but aren't.

One possible market for this is: <B>laptops</B>. All the people with shitty/no sound support to speak of can use this whenever they set up camp.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              Because USB audio has shipped with every OS since Win98?

And therefore works with almost everything... well, except games. And anything with lots of samples (since it overloads the bus). And anything that requires continuous sound. And most things, really.

*shrug*

- Gurm
              But besides that, everything else should work fine, right?
              "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
              Gainward Ti4600
              AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

One major problem:

Computer
                Monitor
                ADSL
                External CD-R
                Printer
                Receiver
                CD (gets current from receiver)
                MD (has to be plugged in while recording)

I'm out of electricity outlets !

And yes, I know it's time to upgrade my computer.

Comment

I have experienced very few problems with SB Audigy cards, and if this externeal solution is the same stabilety, It sounds good :-)

Well, well! Does it only suport USB 1.0/1.1 and not USB 2.0? It had been smart with Firewire suport to....

Comment

No USB 2.0

No Firewire

No Full-Speed USB 1

Total bandwidth to card... 1.5mb/sec

(That's MegaBITS)

ISA delivered more raw speed.

- Gurm

Comment

Actually the low data overhead to the thing is a bonus. The USB spec is 11 MBPS, so the Extigy uses only about 12% of the entire USB bus...not bad. And more than enough for Multichannel Audio anyway.

I've never heard anyone really complain about USB Audio quality anyway. Hell, Roland makes a BUNCH of USB Audio equipment and no one complains about that, except for maybe the price.

As long as you don't have an AMD 760 chipset board, you're ok. (For those who don't know: the onboard USB is broken...badly, unfixably broke in silicon. Most vendors are shipping USB2.0 PCI cards with their boards)

Gurm, lighten up..it is only Creative, remember...they can't be taken Too Seriously. We all know the VTB SC is superior anyway. (Speaking of the Santa Cruz..the Latest RC Drivers are amazing, I just wish they'd give us back the S/PDIF input from the CD-ROM).
                      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

1.5M<B>b</B>/sec isn't all that much, barely enough for stereo, if I have the numbers right. Figure a 44.1kHz, 16-bit stereo .WAV is about 10MB/min. That's about 1.4Mb/sec.

Now add USB latency, interruptions to/from the mouse...what if you're playing a game using a USB joystick? Maybe for some people, but not me.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The ISA bus delivered close to a megabyte each second, and was deemed TOO DAMN SLOW for serious audio.

The PCI bus, at hundreds of megabytes each second, routinely gets swamped by audio devices.

Why do people think that a piss-poor USB implementation will work?

As for nobody complaining about USB audio devices... EVERYONE complains about them. There isn't a single functional USB audio device in existence... not one that plays games, at least. Add to that the fact that they claim to be able to run DD streams over this (1.4Mb/sec. * 2.5) and you have a recipe for NOT WORKING.

- Gurm

Comment

These kind of product's always makes me wonder if they have ever heard of "Firewire"....
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Creative is not the first with such a device:

or more in detail:

While I can imagine such devices are convenient, I also have serious doubts about the soundquality... (perhaps a remark: the Onkyo was originally launched for mac)

Jörg
                              pixar
                              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                              X