win xp upgrade halt..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win xp upgrade halt..

Hi guys...A friend is building his own computer and has got it all up and running with fresh install of Win Me.

When he tries to update this with a Win XP upgrade CD, the computer freezes up during the "checking system" phase. He has tried a couple of times now with the same result. (It does not appear to be freezing at the exact same spot each time, but always during the system checking phase).

Any ideas?
    P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Has he checked the compatability of the system first?... OC'd anything?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Is the checking system part you're referring to the Compatibility Checker that runs first? If so, I had the same problem the first two times I ran the upgrade against my WinME setup on my own home machine. I still don't know why it ran successfully the last time. I had killed all background tasks but the shell each time.

The same issue popped up on my wife's PC, and I couldn't get past that. I eventually settled on backing up her important files to CD (a good thing to do in any case), reformatted her hard drive, then ran the setup from scratch. I believe the process to do this (fuzzy headed at work from sinus meds today ) is to run winnt32.exe from the WINNT directory (might be backwards, lol. I'll check for sure when I get home and correct it if it is). This launches setup from the CD in the DOS prompt. Skips the compatibility checker too (no This Program Requires MS Windows messages either).
      "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
      Gainward Ti4600
      AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

I can remember my win2k locking up on a full restore. I had to reset the bios to get it to install. Don't ask why nothing had changed hardware wise.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

This may help...

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe,

Thanks!...Excellent link!

Comment

Working...
            X