Power to the AGP Bus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power to the AGP Bus

I recently switched from an old generic 300 watt power supply, which is seriously small for my rig, to an Antec case and Antec 400 watt power supply. My system installed with my G400MAX under the 300w power supply with AGP 4x working, no finessing, no nothing, under Win2k. I move it to the Antec, and now all it does is 2x AGP. Is it more than likely the power supply? Nothing else changed between the switch than the case and power. For some reason this has been really bugging me. Any input?
    P=I^2*R
    Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Try reseating the card in the AGP slot, x4 is very touchy and and even a slightly weakened signal might cause it to revert down to x2 or even x1.

Comment

I'd be suspect of the PS... not all regulate as well as others.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, its really the power supply quality that matters, more than the amount of power that it can output.

Which Antec model supply do you have?

Also make sure that your motherboard is all properly grounded with the screws to the motherboard mounting standoffs. Try to keep your power cables away from your agp card and motherboard components if possible also. The low voltage signals for AGP4x are -extremely- sensitive to noise.

Comment

I think this has come up before. Mounting the motherboard does NOT ground the sucker. Those points on the motherboard do not serve as the grounds. That's what the PS connector is for. At least, if I don't have <I>my</I> screws loose.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

It is an alternate ground path Rob... bad connection or not they will have an impact (aka ground loop).
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hmm, another reason not to consider those a ground.

But I thought that those metal rims that surround the screwholes on the MB were intentionally isolated from the traces.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

they're isolated from the traces because many a peep shorted out the screws to those traces... but they are none the less the ground plane

Comment

Working...
                X