• Cold Fusion Experts?

<B>Situation:</B>

DUAL processor - PIII550
    Cold Fusion v4.5 web server
    NT4 sp6a, IIS4 blah blah

linked to:

NT4 database (SQL7) server.

<B>Problem:</B>

Some queries cause both of the CPUs' usage to hit 99%, then it doesn't come down again. Within a short while the server falls over.

Reproduce environment on an old single CPU PII266 - no problem found.

Any ideas? Searching on google finds other people have had same problem, but no real resolution (some people remove 2nd CPU and it fixes it )

Cold Fusion

SteveC, sorry I don't have an answer to your query but your headline immediately had me reaching for my old physics books!

Comment

I came up with an idea to make cold fusion work, but I couldnt invest in the equipment.

(That is specifically open-ended)
      P=I^2*R
      Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

Cold fusion does work. It requires stellar masses, and thereafter becomes hot fusion, but it does work.

Comment

My idea involved using rubidium lasers to supercool a pair of atoms and cause the creation of a Bose-Einstein Condensate, but I didn't know the way to keep the condensate from breaking up back into it's constituent particles back in 8th grade.

As to the Cold Fusion Webserver problem, perhaps it is a problem with the implementation of the MP or the way CF interacts with it.
          P=I^2*R
          Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

Comment

Fusion works fine as long as you get away from magnetic containment, which is very inefficient, and use either gravity (stars) or electrostatics (Filo T. Farnsworth/Robert Hirsch's FUSOR).

A Farnsworth/Hirsch FUSOR achieved 10^12 neutrons/s production from a 4" diameter device and D-T fuel way back in 1966, and this was using NO superconducting magnets or football stadium sized facilities....just 60kv kicked up from a standard 120 volt outlet in a device that was the size of a washing machine.

Of course the govt. had no interest in it at that time

Research on FUSOR type devices continues at various locations, including Los Alamos, Daimlier-Benz Aerospace and Ford Aerospace. For now the main focus seems to be using it as a neutron source that would not need isotopes, a major advantage compared to todays neutron sources which produce nuclear waste. As a neutron source it could also have uses in radiation therapy of cancers.

Here's a picture of a FUSOR in action;

This is the same Farnsworth that invented electronic television. Hirsch ended up director of the AEC's fusion program, which was and still is so entrenched in magnetic confinement and lasers that there's little money left for other possibilities.

Dr. Mordrid
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 January 2002, 10:24.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Dr. Mordrid, what do you do as a job?
              P=I^2*R

Comment

If I told you I'd have to kill you

Actually I'm a retired medical type who has spent way too much time doing film, analog and digital angiography, CT's and MRI's. I have also taught basic physics to whoever those folks in the room were

From the "amature scientist" standpoint:

I started by building my own short wave receiver at age 9 and the transmitter the following year. I had my technicians tag at age 18. Since physics students at my high school were required to enter the science fair my projects were;

biological fuel cell (1965, won Biology division)
                high energy particle detector (1966, won Physics division)
                highly portable/self contained x-ray machine (1967, won Physics division)

In my day I've built some pretty good gas lasers, small linac's & particle detectors, numerous Tesla coils & Van De Graf generators as well as numerous other goodies my insurance agent needs no knowledge of

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 January 2002, 11:09.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I'm not so sure that the guys from Utah didn't have cold fusion working. I'm not saying I believe them, but their detractors didn't convince me either. MIT released a statement saying they were wrong, and provided their own data as a counterexample. The thing is, their data had unexplaned energy too, which they simply wrote off as error. I don't know enough about what was going on in that bottle. It may not have been fusion, but nobody has sufficiently explained it in what I've read.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

holy CRAP! Dr Mordrid, you are some kinda guy Jeez...

some of the people on this forum are waaaaay overqualified

good source of info for the rest of us slobs tho eh ??
                    AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X