X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you own that ECS SiS board...

and were having problems, I found this online:

"works with any Socketed Athlon/Duron cpu"
    You never tried the Athlon 1.4 Ghz T-Bird with the K7S5a.On a message board with, on average, 44 posts per topic, there were 14,000 posts on the Athlon 1.4 + K7S5a. Someone did solve the problem, that being total system instability, by putting a 200 ohm resistor in parallel with something underneath the chip (soldered onto the motherboard), but I wasn't brave enough for this and settled with upgrading to an Athlon XP which works fine. Strangely enough, this issue really only reared itself en masse with revision 4 of the board, which constituted the most shipped by far. Revisions 1-3 were flakey, and oddly enough revision 0 was rock solid, from what I read (so this is hearsay), and I stopped paying attention by the time revision 5 was out.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

What?
    There where 14k posts about problems with SiS chipsets??
    Gooly, gee....color me shocked
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Is that catching up Via chipsets???
      I thought ecs were crappy motherboard makers anyway or have I got that wrong.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

No, ECS usually does good work. It's real no-frills stuff, but respectable.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Sounds more like an issue with a poor design by the manufacture of the MB (and not spending enough on testing it) than an issue with the SIS chipset itself.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I got an ECS K7S5 board to replace my BH6 motherboard that fired on the ride to my GF place (she was getting my old PC) and the thing works great with a Duron 950 and a G400 MAX. I couldnt be happier for $55 bucks for the Board though NewEgg.com

Scott
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I have two of those boards at the moment. Rock solid. One even has a 1.4TB on it. The other has an overclocked AXIA. No probs whatsoever.

Weird eh?
              1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
              Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
              Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Not wierd. If you look at all those AMD forums/boards there are TONS of people reporting problems especially with the higher clocked TBirds, and yes, it seem mostly the middle revisions that are affected. But you always find quite a lot of users with the exact same configuration that don't have any problems at all - so it seems a hit-or-miss thing with the ECS.
                This sounds VERY much like bad quality control of the mobo manufacturer to me (and sounds VERY familiar if you think of those ABit threads). I never had any problems with my ABit KT7 board, but still there are lots of people that just can't get the thing running straight, no matter what they do.

BTW, the ECS is said to be a relabled PCChips board (DOH!), so don't expect exceptional manufacturing quality
                It's just sad that this is about the only SIS735 board you can get - at least here. I'd really like to see a quality-brand SIS735-based board.
                Last edited by Indiana; 11 January 2002, 19:14.
                But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                My System
                2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                German ATI-forum

Comment

afaik PCChips is just one of the many 'brands' that ECS sells their boards under... (and have been for years).

I'd never get an ECS board, just like I would never get a mobo with a VIA chipset on it. I'm not saying that they wouldn't work just fine, but I tend to try and avoid sources of frustrations.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
                    afaik PCChips is just one of the many 'brands' that ECS sells their boards under... (and have been for years).
                    Actually I think it's the other way round. PCChips is much bigger than ECS and sells its boards under different names/brands with ECS being one of the resellers. More info at the link above, or the root page.

P.S PCChips had lots of votes in the recent Crappiest Hardware you ever owned and Most Hated Hardware threads.
                    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                    My System
                    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                    German ATI-forum

Comment

ECS - PC-Chips

Hi,

Originally posted by Indiana

Actually I think it's the other way round. PCChips is much bigger than ECS and sells its boards under different names/brands with ECS being one of the resellers.
                      Yes, it's a mess isn't it? Someone once tried to explain it to me. It seems that at one point in time there were 3 taiwanese companies (ECS, PC-Chips and ?) that teamed together, shared designs and such.

I have to join the happy owner list. I have ECS K7-S5A and PC-Chips 758LMR both crunching genome for MURC 24x7. Neither one of them ever crashed. (my BH6 is a different story).......

I did have a PC-Chips M577 (VIA MVP3 based) a long time ago.. had to do without the AGP port on that board to keep it stable.

Regards,
                      lurqa

Comment

Working...
                      X