Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard Drive making clicking noises... dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive making clicking noises... dead?

My friend's hard drive sounds like it is trying to spin up and makes periodic clicking noises. I'm guessing it's dead, but just wanted a second opinion. The drive is a WD Caviar 153AA in a Gateway computer.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Umm... yeah, dead as a doornail, I'm afraid.

Maxtors used to do this after about 10 hours of use, hence my perpetual distaste for Maxtor.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I have used LOTS of WD Caviar drives over the last 6-7 years.

My experience has been If you are gettin a lot of clicking noises out of it (they produce a loud click from the start when the drive is powering up), back up NOW. It may last another 6 months, it may last another day....either way, it WILL die in the near future...
      Currently, I am running an 8.4 gig Caviar that has clicked for almost 10 months, but is still running (as a secondary drive) for over 10 months, but in the past have seen (heard) the same symptoms from WD drives that croaked the next day (had a 4 gig and 6gig go out on me the next day).
      Typically, this is the head's head arm pounding on the HD's case, and sometimes it's no big deal, usually it means a severe misalignment...But I do expect my 8.4 gig drive to die every time I hear it power up....
      Last edited by Kruzin; 9 January 2002, 19:22.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Kruzin is right. It doesn't matter what brand the drive is, when it starts making noise fire up the backup program and get a fast one in before it goes to hell.

Unfortunately this is becoming a big issue with some of the IBM's.

On the other hand:

Maxtors new drives are all Quantum designs. Even before that I'd been using them for several years (have over 30 of 'em here now, most in RAID arrays) and have yet to replace one.

In the same time frame I've replaced some of every other brand....sometimes more than once under one warranty.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 January 2002, 19:21.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Unfortunately this is becoming a big issue with some of the IBM's.
          This probably has something to do with the fact that IBM and WD combined HD tech's in '00/'01, and are using WD contollers on IBM HDs these days...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Exactly. For all intents and purposes many IBM and WD models are the same, which can be unfortunate if you have the wrong model.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

As far as I know it didn't make any odd noises before, but it is dead now, so he has already lost everything. Good news is that he still has a year and a half on his warranty with Gateway; so they'll replace it for him when he takes it into the store.
              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

99% chance that it's dead but check your power cables first as I've had a few nice clicking hard drives and opening the case the power lead had worked loose over a period of time. Putting it back in cured the problem.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

In one of my "old" computers I had a bad 4pin power conector.
                  That one was in my HDD (A quantum btw) and it would loose power and the HDD would make a realy horrible clicking noise and shutdown...

At that same time period I had a MP3 with a tune that exactly reproduced that sound.

Everytime I heard it my heart almost stopped - even when I was miles from my computer.
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                  X