@home to Comcast Customers....Speed question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @home to Comcast Customers....Speed question

Well I got router problem figured out...just needed to give it hardware reset and re-entered my user ID and all was fine...at least I thought it was. In the past couple days since I got my cable modem up and running this past sunday..I've noticed that everything seems......Sssssslllllllooooooowwwwwwwwww. I thought I was imaging things, but I checked my DL speeds on DSLreports and I've been getting a Whopping 500K DL speed, where as I was getting many times that before when I had @home. To make matters worse I did a local speed test on Speakeasy.net with a server thats less then 50 miles from where I live and I got a whopping 28k/8k speed!

I was wondering if anyone else has been running into problems like this since the switch over...

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Going from @Home to attbi was not a fun experience. Our service was out for a week, then complete shit for another 1/2 week on top of that.

attbi is not as good a performer as @Home was for me. Pings are better, but bandwidth is a good bit lower.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

In short: right now Comcast SUCKS.

We've been having outages several times a day....sometimes for a minute or two, sometimes for a whole night. They say things will improve *soon*, but I have yet to see any sign of it.

The speed is also a big letdown from what I had with MediaOne.
      Here's my real-world before & afters as tested on DSLReports.com;

MediaOne: 1400 kbps down, 300-350 kbps up.

Comcast: 700-1000 down, 125 kbps up.

What really stinks is that the advertised rate for ups on MediaOne was 300 kbps. For Comcast it's only 128 kbps...so I doubt this will improve

Unfortunately Comcast pretty much has a cable ISP monopoly over major portions of Michigan.

These kinds of problems (and the service monopoly itself) are causing the State of Michigan to ready an initiative that would fund the building a broadband infrastructure OUTSIDE of the cable industries monopoly and help independent providers get into the business.

It can't come soon enough for my tastes.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 January 2002, 19:37.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I guess I've been luckier down here. I got switched Saturday. It took me 5-10 minutes to setup my network card and change the host name for my router thanks to Dr Mordrid.

I just did the speed test and my DL is 1247kbps and UL is 140 kbps.

Paul
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
        X