Can't install PD on Win98

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't install PD on Win98

I fired up my Win98 install (on separate boot disk from my W2KAS install) and found that it was asking for the VGA device to be installed. I can't remember the last time I booted up Win98 but it may be when I was trying out the Herc KyroII a few months ago. I don't recall if I uninstalled the Kyro or not. I tried installing PD (my Max is now back in the system) but the install doesn't take (no errors). The odd thing I've noticed is that the step where the files are copied is immediately executed ... too fast to be true and sure enough the .inf files aren't transferred. On reboot I again am asked to install VGA. I've gone through the normal process of running PD uninstall and checking for any display adapters while in Safe Mode but I still can't get the PD setup utility to take. I've tried a number of different versions of PD. Anybody have a clue what may be wrong and/or how to correct it?
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

It's really simple. In win9x you must select standard VGA as your adapter when windows detects your card, then you install the drivers using the setup.

In win2k/XP it's different, you hit cancel when windows picks up your card.

Rags

Comment

I'll give it a try but I thought I've always used PD setup before on Win98. ...
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
        I'll give it a try but I thought I've always used PD setup before on Win98. ...
        That's fine, but you need to select standard VGA when windows detects your card.

Rags

Comment

Blimey, it works! I could have sworn I rejected the VGA install on Win98 ... and this is after two years of Win98 use with my Max. I must be getting senile. Its hell getting old. I spent most of yesterday trying to get that to work. Now onto my DVD playback with DVDMax problems. Thanks Rags!

P.S. Pretty rotten programming to not catch that in the install program.
          Last edited by xortam; 6 January 2002, 22:44.

Comment

P.S. Pretty rotten programming to not catch that in the install program.
            It's in the notes I believe, but it's this way for installing most video drivers in win9x. Some have a workaround, I am sure, but I make it my practice to use this method when installing video drivers anyhow, and it always seems to work like a charm.

Rags

Comment

eYup you sure do need a reconing
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

&quot;it's this way for installing most video drivers in win9x&quot;

Regardless, if the install has a requirement for VGA to be installed then it should check for that before proceeding: That sort of thing can cut down a lot of support calls.

AFA my DVD playback problems ... they seemed to have disappeared. I was having problems under W2KAS using the RT2000 version of the Matrox DVD player while using DVDMax (w/o the option it worked o.k.). I tried a couple other players (TrialWare WinDVD and TheaterTek DVD) and also had problems. I just tried all three players just now under W2KAS and everything's hokey dokey. I guess I had what we used to call a POM problem (Phase Of Moon). Or maybe I just needed to first get the Win98 DVDMax working to clear out the pipes.

Comment

need a reconing

You a Zappa fan Mike? Reminds me of that line "All she gives me is that ... cone head."

Comment

HAHAHA
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Wow this thread has goten more views (not to mention replies) then this poor guy http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30623 he at least posted his pd problems in the right forum!
                      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
                        Wow this thread has goten more views (not to mention replies) then this poor guy http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30623 he at least posted his pd problems in the right forum!
                        Maybe it's because that forum is rarely used, and thus is not read all the time

Why don't you help him?

Rags

Comment

My DVD playback issue wasn't a POM problem. It was as I had earlier suspected ... works o.k. with TV as secondary but not a monitor. My WMP7 output appears on the monitor but not DVD output. I can live with that since I watch DVDs on the big screen in the adjoining living room. I've been hearing good things about the TheaterTek player from the HT folks so I'm going to trial that for a bit (though it displays full screen always).
                          Last edited by xortam; 7 January 2002, 00:17.

Comment

Working...
                          X